Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

intel server board s1400fp2 - raid

s4lif
Novice

Hi guys,

That might be a really simple question for some of you guys but does that board support fake raid only ? In other words, does the O.s need to support the raid entirely ? I do select raid mode in bios but i don't see how i can configure it in the bios... I tried control -I , control -E when the server boot up but nothing show up...

Does that board need a add-in card installed ?

I did read that board support software raid...does that mean O.S dependable ?

Thanks guys for your help.

I'm trying to setup raid10 with 4 hd's...
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello,

You could try the http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/d29305023_raid_swug_r23_5.pdf Ctrl +R Utility on page 68 .

Please let me know which option are you selecting at the BIOS for the RAID mode.

Best regards,

Caesar B.
s4lif
Novice

Thanks for your fast reply.

I've tried two options available (ESRT2, RST) with different Control key to no avail.

I'm using 4 enterprise sata harddrive. Which option do you suggest me to go with ?

The control R should kick in right after the system bios, right ?

Thanks

idata
Employee

Hi there,

There is no need to add a RAID controller to the system in order to configure a RAID 10. I noticed you mentioned you already enabled RAID Mode in the BIOS. Keep in mind the following.
  • 2 White SATA ports – 4 Black SATA ports are managed under the option that says AHCI Capable Controller. See Attachment
  • 8 Blue SATA/SAS ports are managed under SAS/SATA Capable Controller. See Attachment
In either case, you should be able to choose from the LSI controller (ESRT2) or Intel RSTe. You should be able to create a RAID 10 regardless of the option.

Additionally, make sure you disable the Quiet Boot option under the Main tab in BIOS.

If you choose ESRT2; then, you should get a CTRL+E prompt. If you choose RSTe, you should get a CTRL+I option rather.

We don't typically have a preference between one RAID option over the other one but most customers have used the ESRT2 option in the past.

Here is an https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23572/RAID-Interactive-Tutorial-for-Intel-Embedded-Software-Raid-Technology-2-ESRT2- Interactive Tutorial for this RAID controller.

s4lif
Novice

Once quiet boot is disable, all menu are now available for the raid configuration. I'll know this for next time !

I selected ESRT2 and tried windows server installation and asking for drivers. I'll take a look at download section on your website.

Thanks alot for your help!

Cesar_B_Intel
Employee

Hello server101 ,

We are glad to hear our recommendation were of assistance.

Best regards,

Caesar B.

0 Kudos