Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

"The capsule file failed in the security compliance check" error while updating BIOS on Intel S2600cp Server Board

DStro3
Beginner

While attempting to update the BIOS on an Intel S2600cp server system board I receive an error that says "The capsule file failed in the security compliance check. Please refer to BIOS release notes for details." The BIOS update doesn't complete successfully.

This is happening on two server boards that I just bought both used that that are both currently running BIOS version 1.04.2096.

I am attempting to update to Intel® Server Board S2600CP Firmware Update Package for EFI Version: 02.06.0006 which I have downloaded directly from the Intel website https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26957/Intel-Server-Board-S2600CP-Firmware-Update-Package-for-EFI?product=61088 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26957/Intel-Server-Board-S2600CP-Firmware-Update-Package-for-EFI?product=61088.

What do I need to do to fix this issue?

I have followed the instructions on the website for creating the bootable flash drive for installing this BIOS update by formatting the drive with the FAT file system and then copying the extracted files directly to the thumb drive.

The flash drive boots fine, provides me with the usual option and I choose option 1 to update the firmware and then option 2 to update the BIOS. Or I get the same error if I choose option 2 to update the BIOS.

I even used the same thumb drive that had this BIOS update on it that I had previously used to update the BIOS on another S2600cp server board (that was running a newer version of the BIOS) and this other server board updated successfully and without any issues at all. Now I am unable to update the BIOS on these two other S2600cp server boards that are running the older BIOS version.

I have recreated this bootable flash drive, have created the bootable flash drive on a different flash drive, have reset the BIOS to the default settings, and have examined the BIOS settings but so far haven't found any solutions that have fixed this issue.

What else can I do to fix this issue so that I can successfully update to this latest version of the BIOS? Do I first need to update to a newer (but not the most recent version of the BIOS) and then I will be able to update to the latest BIOS version?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Franklin_S_Intel
Employee

Hello dts00002,

In other instances of this same issue upgrading to a lower version and then to the last one has been what has resolved the problem. I would try upgrading to version 02.03.0003 first and then going for the latest version. Let us know how it goes.

Thank you,

FranklinS._Intel

0 Kudos
DStro3
Beginner

I have already tried that (as well as the versions immediately above version 02.03.0003 and I continue to get similar errors).

What else can I do to fix this issue?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

dts00002,

I would also try versions below that as long as they support your current BIOS version. I will go ahead and investigate further on your issue and get back with you as soon as I have an update.

Thank you,

FranklinS._Intel
0 Kudos
DStro3
Beginner

Can you provide me with the URL address(es) of where I can get BIOS versions lower than that?

The BIOS version you mentioned is currently the lowest BIOS version I see on the URL that I posted in my original question.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

dts00002,

You can find them here https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26957/Intel-Server-Board-S2600CP-Firmware-Update-Package-for-EFI?product=61088

Check the links on the left side of the page. However, you need to check on the release notes whether or not the package supports your current BIOS version. Seems to me the newest one that is not a 02.x version that supports your BIOS is 01.06.0002

Thanks,

FranklinS._Intel
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello dts00002,

Were you able to try BIOS version 01.06.0002?

Thanks,

FranklinS._Intel
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello dts00002,

Did you have any luck installing another version of the BIOS?

Thanks,

FranklinS._Intel
0 Kudos