Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage; and Intel® Xeon® Processors
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
4299 Discussions

raid still reporting predictive failure after drive replacement

JJose13
Beginner

I have a machine running centOS 5.3. It has a 6-disk raid 5 array. According to the raid web console 2, The raid card appears to be SRCSASBB81.

About a week ago, I started to receive these predictive failure warnings (once per day).

Controller ID: 0 PD Predictive failure: --:--:4

Generated on:Mon Sep 16 08:29:57 2013

SYSTEM DETAILS---

IP Address: REDACTED

OS Name: Linux

OS Version: 2.6

Driver Name: megaraid_sas

Driver Version: 00.00.04.01-RH1

IMAGE DETAILS---

BIOS Version: 1.12.122-0393

Firmware Package Version: 8.0.1-0029

Firmware Version: NT16

So, I started the intel raid web console, looked at all the drives and saw that drive 4 did have a "pred fail count" of 1. All the other disks had 0 in that field. I figured that's what the "--:--:4" in the warning was referring to. I backed up everything on the raid, identified the physical location of all drives then using the raid web console took drive 4 off line (putting the raid into a degraded state). The light on the physical drive in the expected location turned orange - as expected. I removed the disk and replaced it with a new one. The raid rebuilt and came back to optimal with the new disk. All went as planned. Yay!

However, every morning at 7:30 AM, I still get this same predictive failure warning. The "pred fail count" on the new disk (like all the others) is now 0. Everything looks fine. Is there some file where I have to manually reset some failure count? I can't see anything in the UI that indicates there is something else I need to do.

Please help me understand what's going on and what further steps I should take

Thanks.

-J

0 Kudos
0 Replies