Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4776 Discussions

remote (ipmi console) BIOS configuration of RS25CB080

Brian_M_Intel
Employee

I have a server in a remote location that boots from a RAID array on a RS25CB080. I need to reconfigure this array but I only have remote IPMI console access so I cannot use the RAID BIOS Console 2 Utility.

Given that it's the machine's boot disk which is the array I want to reconfigure (yes, I will lose data on the array, I understand) I am figuring I cannot use the Intel RAID Web Console 2 either.

Is there any way to do this using a standard CLI based BIOS console that will operate over the IPMI console redirection feature of the server?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Brian_M_Intel
Employee

Nobody has an answer to this?

0 Kudos
DSilv11
Valued Contributor III

What system do you have the card installed in?

One thought that comes to mind is to enable Serial Over Lan to the system when will get you a text based remote console.

I can't say I have every tried to configure a RAID over the SOL connection, but i believe it is possible.

If it is an Intel sever and you have the RMM module installed, you can do a remote KVM session directly from the the BMC web interface.

0 Kudos
Brian_M_Intel
Employee

> One thought that comes to mind is to enable Serial Over Lan to the system when will get you a text based remote console.

SOL won't work for this RAID card because it's BIOS tool is graphical, unlike the entire rest of any computer BIOS which all do work over SOL.

I'm not sure who thought creating a click-and-point GUI in a BIOS would be a good idea but whoever it was needs to try his hand at remote systems management for a while.

> If it is an Intel sever and you have the RMM module installed, you can do a remote KVM session directly from the the BMC web interface

I'm not sure if this machine does have an RMM in it, but regardless, remote KVM is not always practical. Bandwidth/latency constraints can make remote KVM very difficult to use where a CLI interface that can be used with SOL can be quite usable. In any case I will investigate and see if it does have an RMM in it, and if so, how (well) this KVM/Web Interface feature works.

0 Kudos
CToed
Beginner

Hi,

did I get you right that you can't open the RAID Web Console 2 in OS or the RAID BIOS Console during boot of the server?

Otherwise you will find here the software part:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/de/product/60283/Intel-Integrated-RAID-Modul-RMS25CB080 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/de/product/60283/Intel-Integrated-RAID-Modul-RMS25CB080

0 Kudos
Brian_M_Intel
Employee

> did I get you right that you can't open the RAID Web Console 2 in OS or the RAID BIOS Console during boot of the server?

No. I can't access the RAID BIOS over an SOL interface because the interface is graphical and not a TUI.

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel

Let me further investigate on this if this is going to be possible using SOL/IPMI or any other TUI based method to configure the array.

What is the model of the system board you are using?

Which Operating System are you using on that unit? You mentioned that you are going to be reconfiguring the array, if you don't mind me asking, what changes are you planning to perform?

0 Kudos