Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4776 Discussions

rmm4 mount images without browser?

MRoss14
Beginner

I was wondering if it is possible to mount images without use jloader.

I use mostly a setup that has no X running; which makes impossible for me to run the web interface and load the remote KVM.

I was looking at the docs and I can't see any way to actually do what the jviewer option "Device--> Redirect Floppy/USB Key image" does.

If JViewer does that, I assume that there is an equivalent to tell RMM4 to do the same operation via console?

I tried to ssh on the address where the web interface run, logging into smash, but even there I don't see a way to mount images, so I can boot from it.

Could you please give some guidance about how to accomplish the same that the Jviewer applet does, when remotely redirect media? Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
DSilv11
Valued Contributor III

the media redirection is part of the browser \ java interface.

You can not launch the media, without the browser.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
David_A_Intel

This is a very good question. I am not sure if it is possible to do this out of the Jviewer. Let me research on this and get back to you.

MRoss14
Beginner

Thanks David; any update on this? I really would like to use media redirection.

I am surprised that there is no API exposed on the UI; nor any command that run in pure text mode. Thanks

0 Kudos
DSilv11
Valued Contributor III

the media redirection is part of the browser \ java interface.

You can not launch the media, without the browser.

MRoss14
Beginner

Thanks Doc.

I am aware that it is part of the java applet, but how did the java applet achieve that? Are there sources for that applet that show how the applet accomplish that, and how to replicate that in text mode?

If the applet does that; it means that I can write the same as console java program, that would do the same; although I can't find any documentation on the subject.

Since you replied and are so knowledgeable, could you point me to the place where I can find the answer? Thanks

0 Kudos
DSilv11
Valued Contributor III

Sorry, I am not much help on "How to write your own."

When it comes to actual coding I tend to run scream from the room!

A large chunk of the BMC code is open source and posted here https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24270/BMC-Source-Code-for-Intel-R-C600-Series-Server-Boards-and-Systems Intel® Download Center

I don't know if the Remote Media would be in there or not since it is an additional cost feature

0 Kudos
MRoss14
Beginner

Thanks Doc; I am finding a lots of roadblocks, due to the lack of interest on the topic, I believe. Obviously everyone would rather use the applet and be done with it

So RMM4 use BMC code? Hopefully someone from Intel can give more details about this applet, and maybe info about the API used by the applet to accomplish the remote management?

I will investigate on the BMC subject too, first time that I hear this acronym.

0 Kudos
DSilv11
Valued Contributor III

The folks at Intel just love our TLAs (Three Letter Acronyms)!

BMC is Baseboard Management Controller which monitors the motherboard voltages, temps, controls the fans, and enabled all the out of band remote access.

0 Kudos
GErli
Beginner

I've managed to use the jviewer.jar to manually connect and also mount a usb/floppy.

If this is still relevant, let me know and I'll send you the source files.

0 Kudos