Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

s1200SPO fan noise

PEvan1
Beginner

I've built a small file server around the S1200SPO. This is for a small company that has no riser room, or server room. The file server sits in an open concept office, but the fan noise is higher than their last Dell server so I'm trying to bring it down. I've set the option to "acoustic" mode in the BIOS but the fans continue to spin at full all the time. I thought that they would settle after the boot but they do not. They stay high. I know the chipset drivers are installed and there doesn't seem to be any drivers missing. Any ideas what I can try?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Intel Customer Support.

Based on your description I would like to recommend a BIOS and firmware update. Here the link where you can download file:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25919/Intel-Server-Board-S1200SP-Firmware-Update-Package-for-EFI?product=89096 Intel® Server Board S1200SP Firmware Update Package for EFI

The instructions are:

1. Boot the system to EFI Shell

2. Copy IFlash32.efi and BIOS .CAP file to a HD or USB Flash Drive

( Do not use the *Rec.CAP file as it will clear NVRAM and should

only be used for Recovery - See Recovery Instructions below )

3. Map the respective storage device in system with the command

Shell> map -r

4. Change the Shell to mapped device file system

Example: Shell> fs0: (or fs1:)

5. Run the IFlash32 utility on the prompt

fs0:\> IFlash32 [File Name] /u /ni

6. Reboot system after the update is completed.

In addition to this, here the https://downloadmirror.intel.com/25919/eng/Release%20Notes_BIOS_R01.03.0006.txt Intel(R) Server Platform BIOS Release Notes.

faugub_intel # iwork4intel
0 Kudos
PEvan1
Beginner

Thanks. I ran the update yesterday (after a little reading about Intel BIOS updates and SDR). The problem is the updater reports an unknown chassis type so the fans stay at 100%. Is there any way to edit the configuration files so that unknown chassis takes the same fan settings as the known type?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

It is great you have updated the firmware. Now, there is a workaround for this.

Run the firmware update, and during the FRU and SDR select option 1, the system will ask you several questions associated to the components. Make sure you set the configuration with a non-Intel Chassis.

faugub_intel

# iwork4intel

0 Kudos
MSchm25
Novice

I had a similar issue, but with the Intel chassis (R1304SPOSHBN). Fans would constantly spin at 100%.

During the BIOS update/flash process, the SDR was failing with a "Security Violation"; the message was easy to miss because the update process would continue past the error message. Manually applying the SDR (frusdr.efi) also failed with a "Security Violation" message.

Resetting the BIOS to defaults, then re-running the SDR/Flash process resolved the issue.

0 Kudos
PEvan1
Beginner

I ran the update as directed and I was asked a series of questions including, how many fans I am using, if there are redundant fans etc. I got an error when it came to the temperature sensor. I don't see a sensor on the chassis. I guess this is why the fans continue to spin at max. The chassis type is a CSE-733TQ-665B

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

I would like to know if during the update you selected the option for a non Intel chassis.

0 Kudos
PEvan1
Beginner

Yes. They gave a few options from Intel, and then "other". I chose other.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Ok great!

What is the version of the firmware you tried?

0 Kudos
PEvan1
Beginner
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

Thank you for that detail.

I would like if you can run this firmware update. This one is for the S1200SPO only.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25919/Intel-Server-Board-S1200SP-Firmware-Update-Package-for-EFI?product=89096 Intel® Server Board S1200SP Firmware Update Package for EFI

The instructions are:

1. Boot the system to EFI Shell

2. Copy IFlash32.efi and BIOS .CAP file to a HD or USB Flash Drive

( Do not use the *Rec.CAP file as it will clear NVRAM and should

only be used for Recovery - See Recovery Instructions below )

3. Map the respective storage device in system with the command

Shell> map -r

4. Change the Shell to mapped device file system

Example: Shell> fs0: (or fs1:)

5. Run the IFlash32 utility on the prompt

fs0:\> IFlash32 [File Name] /u /ni

6. Reboot system after the update is completed.

I would like to hear your results.

0 Kudos