Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

s1200spl fan spin to slow

SOlcz
Beginner

Hello,

my Intel S1200SPL is in a third party case an I got problems with the fan speed. I have two PWM fans and one with 3 pin.

The Fans with PWM spin to slow and the 3 pin fan spin withe 100%. How can I fix this?

I allready made a SDR update and choose "Other Case" and set the fans.

0 Kudos
30 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Sebastina,

We do recommend using a 4-pin fan since the 4th pin is the fan tach, which controls the fan speed FAN_TACH signal that is connected to the BMC to monitor the fan speed.

You can find more information on the https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/S1200SP_TPS_R1_1_S1200SPL_S1200SPS_S1200SPO.pdf technical product specification pages 82 and 83.

Finally, check if the system fan number 1 is indeed spinning and if not please test another fan.

Best regards,

Sergio S.
0 Kudos
SOlcz
Beginner

Hello Sergio,

thank you for your reply.

The https://noctua.at/de/nf-a8-pwm/service fan number 1 is spinnig but I think to slow. How can I fix it so the BMC can recognise the RPM of the fan an functionaly correct?

Best regards

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Sebastina,

I hope you are doing well today.

Thank you or your quick response.

If by updating the SDR didn't work, you can https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=BIOS%20and%20Firmware%20Update,%20Configuration%20Utilities&sort=Date&sortDir=descending download the BIOS and Firmware Update, Configuration Utilities, such as the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26988/System-Event-Log-SEL-Viewer-Utility Intel System Information Retrieval Utility, for current boards and systems, and check the System Event Log (SEL) for errors. The SEL may show where the problem is.

Please let me know your results.

Best regards,

Jeremiah A.

Intel(R) Technical Support

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Sebastina,

I'm following up with you today to see if the information provided help or if there is anything we can assist you; more than glad to help.

Best regards,

Jeremiah A.

0 Kudos
SOlcz
Beginner

Hi Jeremiah,

the Bios and Firmware update you gave me is not supporting my s1200SPL, but I allready done Bios and Firmware Update.

Here are my SEL report.

Best regards Sebastian

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Sergio,

Thank you for your update.

Can you please indicate the memory configuration or model you are running on this server board?

Regards,

0 Kudos
SOlcz
Beginner

Hi,

the Memory is 2 x 16 GB Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CRC.

Regards,

Sebastian

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Sebastian,

I look into this and get back to you as soon as possible with new information.

Regards,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Sebastian,

I'm still investigating this issue and I will get back to you as soon as possible with new information.

Regards,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Sebastina,

I apologize for the delay in my response.

Be aware that 4 pin fans are required within our boards, the 4th wire is the PWM one, without it there is no way for the BMC to control the fans nor they are reported correctly.

You need to use the 4 pin fans PWM compliant.

Best regards,

Jeremiah A.

0 Kudos
SOlcz
Beginner

Hi Jeremiah,

thank you for the replay, I hope you are doing well.

If I connect all fans with PWM than I got the same error

The fans are spinnig but to slow and the cooling is not enough. The RAID Controller is getting very hot so I put the 4th pin from System Fan 3 away to get 100% Fan speed for better cooling. That is why I use a 3 pin fan. This is a workaroud till the problem is solved.

The both fans with wit lower critical are Noctua NF-A8 PWM 80mm.

The one fans with lower non critical is a be quiet! BQT T12025-MR-PWM Shadow Wings 120mm.

Best regards

Sebastian

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Sebastina,

Could you please check the fan configuration in the bios by doing the following:

To access this screen from the Main screen, select Advanced > System Acoustic and

Performance Configuration. To move to another screen, press the key to return to the

Advanced screen, then select the desired screen.

1. Set Fan Profile

Option Values: Performance

Acoustic

Help Text:

[Performance] – Fan control provides primary system cooling before attempting

to throttle memory.

[Acoustic] – The system will favor using throttling of memory over boosting fans

to cool the system if thermal thresholds are met.

Comments: This option allows the user to choose a Fan Profile that is

optimized for maximizing performance or for minimizing acoustic noise.

When Performance is selected, the thermal conditions in the system are controlled by

raising fan speed when necessary to raise cooling performance. This provides cooling

**In your case you need to select the performance option however, the 4th pin on the fans is necessary.

Best regards,

Franklin S.
0 Kudos
SOlcz
Beginner

Hi Franklin,

the fan profile was allready set to performance and the PWM offset ist set to 0.

Best Regards

Sebastian

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Sebastian,

We still need to have the fourth pin fans so the BMC can control them. You can make sure to have the fans with the fourth pin and run the SDR update again.

Please let me know your results.

Regards,

0 Kudos
SOlcz
Beginner

Hi,

I made the first SDR update with all fans with four pins. I do it again like you said but I got the same result. While the SDR Update I choose other chasssis and make a screenshot. Please look at it, chassis fan speed controll will not work properly without this sensor. Is this sensor necessery to controll the fans?

Best Regards

Sebastian

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Sebastian,

Thank you for your response.

Yes, this sensor necessary to control the fans. Please select Yes to the question made in the SDR setup.

Regards,

0 Kudos
SOlcz
Beginner

Hi,

thanks for you reply.

I don´t have the option to choose yes or no for the sensor.

In this Screenshot you see all otions I can choose.

Regards

Sebastian

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

Please indicate the outcome of running the configuration again.

Regards,

0 Kudos
SOlcz
Beginner

Hi,

what you mean with outcome? The outcome you can see in my sreenshot above. SDR Update succseefully.

Regards,

Sebastian

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

Ok, I will investigate more into this since you already performed all possible trouble-shootings.

Regards,

0 Kudos