Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

s2600cp Minimum BIOS to get v2 and DirectX12

golla
Beginner

Hello

first of all thanks for reading this question , I'd like to say I have little

experience with server boards . But could successfully ensemble my first server , pretty cool .

I've been running my s2600cp , paired with 02 E5-2643 v1 , and 48 GB ram

with no problems , as a Maya/Nuke workstation ( Windows 10 installed )

Now I purchased a GTX 1070 video card but can't run it , probably because the old BIOS

( I got a message error "PCI vendor.." on boot) . Besides I would like to upgrade it to 2x V2 cpus as prices go down,

and I can see on Intel site the minimum BIOS should be 02.01.0002 . Furthermore I bought a USB 3.0

and couldn't get it to work yet .

My current specs :

BIOS............................ SE5C600.86B.01.02.0003

BMC............................. 1.04.2896

SDR package............... 1.03

ME................................ 2.1.5.69

I never tried to update because I read other chat with warnings about trying to update

very old boards could fail and brick it , with some advice to only update BIOS not ME

but the readme.txt say ME must be update as well in order you can go ahead so I got

a bit scared to be honest.

SO my questions are :

0) is it correct , the 02.01.0002 is the minimum bios I need to get v2 CPU compatibility

and directx12 videocards ??? is it correct I need to update all packages ? I dont need server

capabilities only using as workstation ? desktop

1) is it safe to update step-by-step from my current 01.02.0003 to 02.01.0002 ?

2) the update depends upon board releases ? if positive how can I be sure / what should I check ???

3) if its safe please confirm I must go step by step , so I need to download all 6 bios update packages ,

burn it one by one on a USB stick and perform the shell EFI procedure as indicated , it that allright ?

anyone who can give me any advice I welcome and thank in advance !!!!!

regards

Grenchyoll

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Grenchyoll,

We are further researching on whether or not that BIOS version is necessary for DirectX 12. However, if you want to upgrade the BIOS on your board you need to download all subsequent versions of it and upgrade one by one until you reach your desired version.

Thank you,

Franklin S._Intel

0 Kudos
golla
Beginner

Hello Franklin thanks for your help.

OK I will wait your confirmation on the DirectX12 issue.

Let me know about my previous question of upgrade only the BIOS , and not the other components.

Because I will not need the server capabilities of this board , only using it with Windows 10 as

a desktop , I was planning NOT upgrade ME because I read here at Support Foruns that upgrading

ME ( in the case of old boards ) could brick it .Bellow is the link to a user indication that should not try

to upgrade ME on very old boards ,

So the question is , in order to get v2 CPUs and DirectX12 for a desktop use ( windows10) ,

is it safer to upgrade the BIOS only , instead the whole package ? or even for desktop use

all packages are necesary ? (+FRUSDR ,ME , BMC ...)

best regards

Grenchyoll

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Grenchyoll,

I found a few things about this board. It is already discontinued, you can check that in this link https://ark.intel.com/products/56333/Intel-Server-Board-S2600CP2 https://ark.intel.com/products/56333/Intel-Server-Board-S2600CP2

According to this link the board does not list Windows 10 as a supported operating system https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007032/server-products.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007032/server-products.html

In this link https://serverconfigurator.intel.com/exalt/RequestManager?ServletNumber=1&dynamicUser=Y&localinfo=0&RestrictionVal=SVG&APPLICATIONCODE=1 Intel® Server Configurator Tool you can check what hardware has been tested and claims to be compatible with the board you are working on. Click where it says "THOL Builder" filter by the board model, then the page will display a list of different compatible hardware pieces, you can then filter by vendor, model, category, etc. Unfortunately, there are no GTX products listed as compatible. The only items listed in the GPGPU category are:

AMDGPGPU100-505563100-505563 (PCIe 2.0 x16, 1GB GDDR3, Compute Accelerator)EOLNVidiaGPGPUTesla C1060C1060 (PCIe 2.0 x16, 4GB GDDR3, 512-bit memory, Double-width Computing Processor)EOLNVidiaGPGPUTesla C1070C1070 (PCIe 2.0 x16, 16GB GDDR3, 512-bit memory, Double-width Computing Processor)EOLNVidiaGPGPUTesla M2050M2050 (PCIe 2.0 x16, 3GB GDDR5, 384-bit memory, fanless solution, Computing Processor)ActiveNVidiaGPGPUTesla M2070M2070 (PCIe 2.0 x16, 6GB GDDR5, 384-bit memory, fanless solution, Computing Processor)ActiveNVidiaGPGPUTesla M2090M2090 (PCIe 2.0 x16, 6GB GDDR5, 384-bit memory, fanless solution, Computing Processor)Active

In regards to your cuestion about updating the BIOS without updating ME or FRU, that depends on whether or not you are using an Intel Chassis, a third party chassis could present further complications on keeping devices working properly such as the fans.

Thank you,

Franklin S._Intel

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello grenchyoll,

I wanted to quickly follow up with you to see if you saw my last post. Let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Best regards,

Franklin S._Intel

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello grenchyoll,

Hope you are doing great. If you have any additional questions please let us know. Thanks.

Best regards,

Franklin S._Intel

0 Kudos
IMark1
Beginner

I had the same problem with USB 3.0. I tried to manually install another drivers and nave nothing.

I tried to connect different cards to other slots and no results. Despair has come to me.

But one day I found information: our motherboard good work with Renesas chip USB 3.0

So I both PCIe card Nec (a.k.a. Renesas) based on chip 0720200F1, also I had sata power to molex adapter for additional power USB 3.0. Connected all components and there was a magic - finally it work!)

Also I had some problems with graphics performance. Because of DirectX 12? - Maybe. I have s2600cp, 2x Xeon E5-2670, GTX 970 and 32GB DDR3 (4x8gb) on 4 channels. If I running Windows 7 - everything is ok: all applications work good how I expected. But running Windows 10 and some CAD/CAM app's so lagged that it is impossible to make my job. In next few days i'll try to uninstall DirectX 12… this is only way

My bios version from 31 January 2018.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello marktonse,

Thank you for your feedback.

Best regards,

Charlie_Intel
0 Kudos