Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

s5000psl One Boot Flash Update Utility problem in Win 2008 R2

idata
Employee

I got server with Intel server board S5000PSL and Windows Server 2008 R2 and I need to update my BIOS.

I download "Intel One Boot Flash Update Utility" from Intel Download Center, install it and when I try to watch my BIOS version "flashupdt -i" I got a message "*ERROR* Unable to communicate with the flashUD.sys driver. The driver may not be installed."

I found that driver in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Flashupdt" and "C:\Windows\System32\drivers" folders.

What I must do to make this program works correct?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Have you tried the EFI updated instead? You should reboot and reset BIOS to factory defaults anyway after an update, so you may as well use EFI.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

No and I'am little bit scared to replace BIOS with UEFI on working server.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

EFI is safe. I've used it on plenty of production systems. Personally I'd much rather update from EFI than Windows.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

As I understand I must replace BIOS with UEFI and then reinstall OS, or my OS will boot with UEFI as like nothing happend?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Seems it's the only way to update my BIOS version. But it's not good for me, because I work on this server remotely.

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
DSilv11
Valued Contributor III

When installing the OFU driversmake sure you install them from a command prompt and navagate to the driver location. The Install,bat is exspecting a path so the command is INSTALL \

Also I would install all the OFU drivers for BIOS\BMC\FRUSDR \syscfg and SELVIEW.

(Just seems to work smother if all the drivers are loaded.)

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

A reboot is required after initial installation of the OFU.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes, I know that I must reboot after installation or deinstallation. It shows me error message before and after reboot.

0 Kudos