Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

s5000xvn won't get through post after installing second cpu

idata
Employee

system stopped at post with code: initializing chipset component and is trying to reset fixed media device.. what could that be? system works fine with one cpu.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

Are the processors matched? Maybe it's just a bad second processor. Can you boot if you put just the second one in the first slot?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Both cpu work fine in single cpu mode. It happens only when I populate two sockets. I've lost my patience to Intel, It's third mobo which I found faulty...

0 Kudos
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

If three motherboards do the same thing, there is very little chance it's a faulty motherboard.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

not exactly the same thing. One went down for unknown reason. It was s5000pal so I decided to buy s5000xvn cause I needed pci-e 16 anyway. Motherboard arrived with broken solder, I was worried about that so tried to get refund but after 6 months I'm still waiting. Third motherboard seemed to be ok, but it didn't boot.

Then I decided to buy new psu, 1000watt, didnt manage to launch last mobo, it's still not booting. I bought another cpu to make sure the cpu is fine. It didn't boot the last mobo. I decided to try boot the second mobo(the one with broken solder). It booted on new psu with old cpu. I was a bit worried, but it seems to work fine, somehow. I can't work on broken mobo though, cause noone knows what might happen anytime.(I'm using it right now to post this message). I tried to populate second cpu socket in this mobo, but it comes back with catastrophic(as someone on this forum said) error in system log and does not boot. I believe it's because of broken solder which makes it not possible to use two cpus.

Anyway, the third mobo, the one which was supposed to be new, never used and working - IS NOT working:) whether you populate one or two cpu sockets. What it does, it's status led goes solid amber after a while and cpufan2 LED goes solid amber as well(but only if one, not two cpu was populated).

So, both cases are different, I tried everything, from changing mobo through cpus to powerful psu. It seems that mobo which is broken physically is working, and one which is theoreticaly new and working - is not working.

Honestly, I don't know what else I can do, if I cannot access bios on new mobo. Here I come only with one solution - to buy another mobo.

0 Kudos