Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

server won't start

idata
Employee

Ok so I finished building my server last night and every thing was looking good until I tryed to turn it on I plug a power cord in (being that its an American psu rated for international use but saying its needs 16gage wiring which as far as I can tell dose not exist in Australia) turned the power on, a green light came on on the motherboard so I was like ok... Hit the button and nothing no response and when I put my head near the psu I can hear a what I can only describe as an electronic gargling noise coming from it when ever it has power.

So my question is what do you think is wrong is it that the psu's ether dead or just can run on Australian cable or is maybe there a fault with the cable connecting the on switch to the board (the cable hose into the allocated pin slot but it might possible be 2-4 pins short) or both?

my specs are Intel SC5600BASE Server Chassis 5U Rack, 670W with a my cores are 2x Xeon E5645 and 6x 8gb kinston ecc and a corsair neutron 256 gb ssd.r

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Which server board are you using? Below are some basic troubleshooting tips:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-029657.htm Troubleshooting server system boot issues

Also check the http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-031498.htm Intel® Xeon® Processor 5600 Series support information.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

my motherboard is a ASUS Z8PE-D18 Server Motherboard

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Ok so I pulled out my motherboard and the p1 wasn't all the way in which seems to have fixed one thing BUT I have discovered a new problem the main board front control cord dose not fit as u can see from the pic the user Manuel says to plug it into the white port but it dose not fit as there is the white thing in the cable if I plug it into the black one I get a single light which is the triangle in the pic (I = status led) and nothing happens when I push the on button are there special converter cables for this or am I doomed?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

kobiqoi,

Is your chassis compatible with the server board? Would your questions be better directed to ASUS?

Regards,

John

0 Kudos