Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

syscfg /bcs fails when trying to set values How can I get this working?

patman
Beginner

On an Intel S2600WFTR [edited] board, running CentOS 7.

BIOS recently updated to SE5C620.86B.02.01.0009.092820190230

syscfg Version 14.1 Build 26

syscfg /bcs fails when trying to set BIOS values.

This was working on earlier BIOS versions.

For example:

[root@localhost ~]# /usr/bin/syscfg/syscfg /bcs '' biossettings 'Boot Mode' 01

Error: Change BIOS setting failed. It may be caused by invalid data in the switch parameters.

[root@localhost ~]# /usr/bin/syscfg/syscfg /bcs '' biossettings 'Boot Mode' 00

Error: Change BIOS setting failed. It may be caused by invalid data in the switch parameters.

We're able to get values, for example:

[root@localhost ~]# /usr/bin/syscfg/syscfg /d biossettings 'Boot Mode'

Boot Mode

=========

Current Value : Legacy

----------------------

Possible Values

---------------

Legacy : 00

UEFI : 01

Is there a fix for this?

Thanks ...

-- Patrick

0 Kudos
14 Replies
SergioS_Intel

Hello patman,

Can you please let us know if you have tried to perform a BIOS recovery on your system?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024411/server-products/server-boards.html

Also, please provide us with a screenshot of the error message that you are getting.

Best regards,

Sergio S.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

For firmware updates and troubleshooting tips, visit :https://intel.com/support/serverbios

0 Kudos
patman
Beginner

No, I haven't tried the BIOS recovery, I'm working remotely so that's not possible for me to do, and we have two systems that have hit this problem - that both recently had their BIOS updated :-(

I'll try and see if someone onsite can try the BIOS recovery on one of them.

But have you tried running syscfg and using it to set BIOS values while running BIOS SE5C620.86B.02.01.0009.092820190230?

It seems to only fail on the second or subsequent commands - I can't tell if it's specific to a particular BIOS setting or not.

Screen Shot 2019-10-29 at 8.03.29 AM.pngAbove is the screenshot, but it's just the text from my post here.

Thanks ...

-- Patrick

0 Kudos
patman
Beginner

Also, for the BIOS recovery are you suggesting we switch to a previous version of the BIOS, or just re-flash the current version we're using?

We had an overtemp issue that went away after updating the BIOS, BMC, ME, FRUSDR and DCPMM to the most recent versions.

-- Patrick

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello patman,

You can re-flash the BIOS to the current version, additionally, please try to clear the CMOS of your system, and loading the BIOS default settings.

Best regards,

Sergio S.

0 Kudos
patman
Beginner

How do we clear the CMOS?

The page here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025368/processors.html

Says "Locate the CMOS jumper by referring to the motherboard manual and how to clear the CMOS".

But, I don't see anything about how to set the jumper or clear CMOS in this manual: S2600WF_TPS.pdf ("Intel® Server Board S2600WF Product Family Technical Product Specification").

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello patman

Before, clearing the CMOS of your system, we are going to check with our upper-level support department for more information. We will keep you posted.

Best regards,

Sergio S.

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello patman,

The correct syntax for BIOS settings change command (bcs) is without biossettings argument.

Please see section 4.3.5 in Syscfg user guide - https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/server-boards/intel-syscfg-userguide-v1-03.pdf

The command's examples will be:

>/usr/bin/syscfg/syscfg /bcs '' 'Boot Mode' 00

>/usr/bin/syscfg/syscfg /bcs '' 'Boot Mode' 01

syscfg.png

Best regards,

Sergio S.

0 Kudos
patman
Beginner

That changed nothing, It still fails for me:

[root@localhost ~]# /usr/bin/syscfg/syscfg /bcs '' 'Boot Mode' 00   Error: Change BIOS setting failed. It may be caused by invalid data in the switch parameters.

On a different Intel motherboard (and before we updated the BIOS) it works fine.

And, it worked with or without the "bios setting".

On a *different* Intel motherboard:

[root@cstor40-dev-3k1 ~]# /usr/bin/syscfg/syscfg /bcs '' 'Boot Mode' 00   Successfully Completed [root@cstor40-dev-3k1 ~]# /usr/bin/syscfg/syscfg /bcs '' biossettings 'Boot Mode' 00   Successfully Completed

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello patman,

We are sorry to hear that you still have problems, allow us more time to investigate on your issue.

Best regards,

Sergio S.

0 Kudos
patman
Beginner

We've asked our supplier (Hammer) to help us get a fix for this.

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello patman,

Upon checking with our upper-level support it seems that they were able to reproduce your issue without any issues:

sysccfg1.jpg

sysccfg2.jpg

Please let us know if your supplier were able to assist you further.

Best regards,

Sergio S.

0 Kudos
patman
Beginner

Our supplier said their Intel representative was able to hit the problem, we're trying to get the problem escalated as this impacts our ability to ship our products using this newer motherboard, and the old motherboard is at or near EOL.

Note this is on a CentOS based system, using the Intel supplied syscfg rpm, it should be the same on Redhat 7.7

Can you get them to try this on a RedHat or CentOS 7.7 system?

-- Patrick

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello patman,

Our upper-level support is currently testing with a CentOS. We will keep you posted on the findings.

Best regards,

Sergio S.

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello patman,

We just sent you a private message, requesting some additional information.

Best regards,

Sergio S.

0 Kudos