Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

welche Activation key verwendet man für: integrated RAID-Moule RMS3CC080 an Mainboard S1200SPL

ETrax
Novice

Discen: 4 x Western Digital WD Red Pro 2TB, SATA 6Gb/s (WD2002FFSX)

0 Kudos
1 Solution
SergioS_Intel

Hello ETrax,

We would like to make sure that we have been clear in our previous interaction to avoid confusion.

1- The RAID activation keys such as AXXRPFKDE2 (Disk Encryption) or AXXRPFKSSD2 (SSD Caching & Fast Path IO) are only compatible with the RMS3CC080 in your system using the MiniSAS HD ports in it.

2- The above keys do not work in the S1200SPL board; however, the board does have two options for SATA RAID (Intel RSTe and/or Intel ESRT2)

3- The only RAID key that is compatible with the S1200SP board is the RKSATA8R5. This is to be used in combination with the Intel Embedder Server RAID Technology 2 (ESRT2) to give it RAID 5 features that it doesn't have out of the box.

4- ESRT2 RAID on this board support RAID 0, 1, and 10, so RAID 5 support is only available when the above key is present.

5- That said, be aware that to use ESRT2 RAID in the board there is no need of having a RAID key. The RAID feature is already included without a RAID key. The RAID key once again is only to enable the RAID 5 feature.

6- Onboard RAID options can be enabled at BIOS level at the following Menu:

Advanced Settings -> Mass Storage Configuration -> SATA Port Configuration -> AHCI SATA Capable Controller = RAID mode.

This will give you another option below that reads: "AHCI Capable RAID Options". There you can choose between RSTe and ESRT2.

I hope this clarifies any doubts you might have; nevertheless, please indicate if something is not clear and we would be more than glad to assist you further. 

Sergio S.

Intel Customer Support

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JoseH_Intel

Hello ETrax,

Thank you for joining the community

There are 2 activation keys to enable Self-Encrypting Drive support and SSD Cache Support. 

- Self-Encrypting Drive Support

Optional AXXRPFKDE2 (Disk Encryption)

upgrade key enables SafeStore*

Encryption Services with Instant Secure

Erase and Local Key Management

- SSD Cache Support

Optional AXXRPFKSSD2 (SSD Cache)

upgrade key enables Solid State Drives

to be used as super-sized cache by the

RAID controller

Higher RAID levels are enabled and do not require activation keys. For more information click here

Regards

Jose A.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
ETrax
Novice

Hi Jose,

thanks for your answer.

but i don't understand:

is this key only for encryption?

my drives are connected only to the mainboard's SAT-connectors. the connectors at the raid module are free.

is int necessary to connect drives directly to the raid module?

in my configuration the drives are connected to the mailboard's connectors - i cannot configure the raid setup:

i get the message(s):

"activation key is wrong"

"activation key must not be blank"

regards

erich

ps: in former times my raid conrollers did not require any keys - but it is my first "integrated raid module"....

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello ETrax,

Looks like there is a confusion with the SATA ports. This board has 2 embedded software RAID controllers, ESRT2 (LSI) and RSTe (Intel). The SATA ports on the boards are controlled by either one of these embedded RAID controllers. In order to enable the higher RAID levels on such embedded controllers, you will require an activation key that connects directly to the board. In none of these actions, the RMS3CC080 controller is involved.

If you want to use the RMS3CC080 hardware RAID controller then you have to connect the drives to the ports located in the RAID module and enable it in BIOS. By doing that you won't need any activation key to be plugged to the RMS3CC080.

You can try that and let me know if it works

Regards

Jose A.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello ETrax,

We would like to make sure that we have been clear in our previous interaction to avoid confusion.

1- The RAID activation keys such as AXXRPFKDE2 (Disk Encryption) or AXXRPFKSSD2 (SSD Caching & Fast Path IO) are only compatible with the RMS3CC080 in your system using the MiniSAS HD ports in it.

2- The above keys do not work in the S1200SPL board; however, the board does have two options for SATA RAID (Intel RSTe and/or Intel ESRT2)

3- The only RAID key that is compatible with the S1200SP board is the RKSATA8R5. This is to be used in combination with the Intel Embedder Server RAID Technology 2 (ESRT2) to give it RAID 5 features that it doesn't have out of the box.

4- ESRT2 RAID on this board support RAID 0, 1, and 10, so RAID 5 support is only available when the above key is present.

5- That said, be aware that to use ESRT2 RAID in the board there is no need of having a RAID key. The RAID feature is already included without a RAID key. The RAID key once again is only to enable the RAID 5 feature.

6- Onboard RAID options can be enabled at BIOS level at the following Menu:

Advanced Settings -> Mass Storage Configuration -> SATA Port Configuration -> AHCI SATA Capable Controller = RAID mode.

This will give you another option below that reads: "AHCI Capable RAID Options". There you can choose between RSTe and ESRT2.

I hope this clarifies any doubts you might have; nevertheless, please indicate if something is not clear and we would be more than glad to assist you further. 

Sergio S.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
ETrax
Novice

Hi,

i think it was my mistake:

at boot time you are requeired to enter configuration with ctrl-R first -> the keys are required,

the next config entries are via entry via ctrl-I -> here the raid set ist configurable.

now it's clear, you can close this case.

have a lot of thanks;-)

kind regards

erich

0 Kudos