Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

what does correctable ecc asserted explicily mean?

BGuo2
Beginner

I have "correctable ecc asserted" warning in the bmc of my server. This event probably lead to the server status light turned amber and blink. I wonder is this event mean only one bit error occurred in the dimm or the number of error occurred in that dimm exceeded the threshold? If it is the first case, I think it is ok, and won't lead to any server health problem. I hope someone can help me with this!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Mr. Guo,

In regards to your question the BMC error messages could change from board to board and even with the firmware version. Could you please specify what board/chassis model you have on your server and what BIOS version is it currently running?

Regards

Jose H.
0 Kudos
BGuo2
Beginner

board:s2600cw2r

BIOS01010022

ME030103043

BMC015010802

FRUSDR114

thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Mr. Guo,

Thanks for the info.

Are you seen this error message from the Server Health > DIMM Information tab? I couldn't find the exact description of the error even on the BMC user guide: http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/intel_rmm4_ibwc_userguide_r2_72.pdf http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/intel_rmm4_ibwc_userguide_r2_72.pdf

I will continue researching on this and will get back to you with updates

Regards

Jose H.

0 Kudos
BGuo2
Beginner

No. I saw this in the even log.

Sorry for this late reply, but I was on a business trip last week.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Mr. Guo,

Do you mind to share that event log file here? I would like to take a look at it.

Jose H.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Mr. Guo,

Let me share with you the following info in regards to Correctable Error Correcting Code (ECC) or other correctable memory error for memory modules
  1. Decode DIMM error(s) using the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/server-products/000023940.html System Information Retrieval Utility.
  2. Verify the DIMM is seated properly.
  3. Examine gold fingers on edge of the DIMM to ensure that the contacts are clean.
  4. Inspect the processor socket DIMM for any bent contacts/pins. If you find bent contacts/pins, replace the board.
  5. Consider replacing the DIMM as a preventive measure if the correctable error becomes uncorrectable.
Hope this helps.

Jose H.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Mr. Guo,

Do you have updates in regards to this?

Just let me know.

Jose H.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Mr. Guo,

I will proceed to mark this thread as closed. If you have further questions just create a new topic and we will be glad to assist you.

Regards

Jose H.
0 Kudos