Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4784 Discussions

what is the best antivirus software?

idata
Employee

i just want to know what is really the best or better anitvirus software for computers for desktops and notebooks? why you said so?

can you help me also? whenever i "shut down" my computer, there's a pop-up that "WMS IDLE", what it is? is it a virus? coz it will not clean up whenever i clean the computer...help me plzzzzz....thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JLodh
New Contributor II

Dear Chad,

First of all regarding the anti-virus, according to the Top 10 Anti-Virus Software Reviews, "BitDefender" has been rated as the number 1 anti-virus for the year 2008. To find out why, follow the http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/ URL.

Now as for your WMS IDLE prompt while your computer is shutting down. The WMS (Windows Messenger Service) Idle prompt is displayed to users who have Nero Essentials on their computers. WMS Idle is neither a virus nor some sort of worm that will damage your computer however in case you want to get rid of this WMS Idle prompt, here is what you have to do: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/80957.htm (Reference)

1) Click Start--> Programs --> Nero(v7, v7 essentials, v8 ) --> Tools --> Nero Scout.

2) This opens Nero Scout Options window.

3) On the left hand column, click Indexing --> Folders.

4) Then at the bottom click Clear All.

5) Then click Apply.

6) At the top left hand corner of the window uncheck the box where it says Unable Nero Scout.

7) Then click Apply.

8) Then click OK.

This will solve the WMS Idle not responding which appears everytime when shutting down.

--

Warm Regards,

Javed Lodhi

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

hi javed.lodhi!

thank you for your answer about the "wms idle"...the problem was solved...thank you once again..you're really a computer expert...:D

0 Kudos
JLodh
New Contributor II

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the compliments, just trying to serve the community and assist you guys wherever possible.

Have a great day!

--

Warm Regards,

Javed Lodhi

Intel Go Green, Save The Environment!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Good Day

Just wanted to share my new experience.

If your system fails to run due to an error corresponding to missing HAL.DLL, invalid Boot.ini or any other important system boot files you can repair this by using the XP installation CD. Simply boot from your XP Setup CD and enter the Recovery Console. Then launch "attrib -H -R -S" on the C:\Boot.ini file and delete it. Run "Bootcfg /Rebuild" and then Fixboot

Regards,

Carl

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Everybody

Windows vista is also causing lots of boot problems, so I often get questions like this:

I have a Dell Dimension, which won't boot to Windows (Vista), and none the repair options work:

Startup repair: Reports repair fail due to problem with registry

System Restore: Reports no restore points available

Windows Complete PC Restore: Reports no backups available

Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool: No memory problems

Command Prompt.

Can't think of any appropriate command to use here.

So I booted with the system DVD (as one would with XP) but the upgrade

option has been greyed don't want to do a clean setup. I want to repair existing

installation.

What should I do?

-

So here is the answer:

You can't do a 'repair install' because you need to launch the Vista DVD

from within Windows, not, as you have been doing, booting straight from the

DVD; that is why the 'upgrade' is greyed out.

If you cannot launch Vista and none of the fix variants will work a new

install is the only other option.

To save problems in future it is actually a good idea to make image of the hard drive, using something like True Image. What I do is install operating system, download all updates, check system I working okay for a day or two, activate system, then create image of the whole drive/partition. Any time I get a problem I can re-image the drive/partition quickly and be up and running without much trouble. And minor fixes are done by using any registry fix software, there are plenty of them on the market today.

Cheers,

Carl

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hey for anyone looking for some great info and recommendations on free or advanced Antivirus software, or related matters, check out this informational website. I think you will find any info and helpful suggestions you may be looking for.

http://antivirus-software-information.blogspot.com

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

THX a lot, you just resolved my problem !!!!!!!

0 Kudos