Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

(5.4.1 CLI) No Longer Supported and not Able to Build (a small project)...

Omar_A_1
New Contributor I

I updated today to version 3240 from 3088. Since then I was unable to build any project small or big except once a couple of hours ago. Even that project didn't go through the build ever again. The project size is under 10mb. I went back to 3088 to try again, but I got this problem ahead of me:

Even the crosswalk versions available before have disappeared, and now I only have crosswalk 15 in the list. I need at least crosswalk 16 because it has a lot of improvements over the 15th.

So if you could help me in anyway possible, I would really appreciate it. Thank you for the help in advance!

0 Kudos
13 Replies
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

I would expect to see that message from 2893, but not from 3088. It is an odd message. There is not significant difference between 3088 and 3240, other than about five critical bug fixes. Do not use 3088, use 3240. If you are having build problems it is due either to your network connection (slow, bad or proxy issues) or due to our backend build system (down or busy). I just performed five builds (Android, iOS, Win10, Win8 and WP8) and all succeeded.

After reinstalling 3240, if this problem persists, please create a new simple project based on the "hello, cordova" sample and try to build that. If that succeeds but building your project fails, there is something in your project source or config files that is likely causing the problem. Please post the results of that experiment (building "hello, cordova") and we can further diagnose the issue.

0 Kudos
Omar_A_1
New Contributor I

Thank you Paul for responding. Unfortunately, nothing changed. I completely uninstalled the version I have following the guide below:
https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/faqs/general#uninstall-xdk

Then I installed a fresh 3240. But the problem still persists . Please look at the picture below:

This is a fresh blank project from the templates. Please note that the version of intel xdk is 3240 as you can see in the picture. If there's a better way to uninstall than the one I used, please let me know how. I think if I can do that and uninstall the version I have completely, the problem will disappear as soon as I install a 100% fresh copy.

Regarding the build, I am not really sure what the problem is but I am not able to build even this blank project... When I click on Build, I get "preparing project files", and in less than 10 seconds I get "uploading project files", then really fast I get "Unable to upload the project files".

I hope you can help... Thanks again for everything!

0 Kudos
Omar_A_1
New Contributor I

I would also like to add that I tried building with 2893, and the build went through with no problems whatsoever. I think that eliminates the possibility regarding a problem with my internet connection. I don't know if I'm right about that or not, but I am desperately trying to make it work. I even tried the early access edition (3172), and at first launch the problem with the CLI wasn't there, but I wasn't able to build with it too. After I closed it and reopened it again (second launch). I found the same message about the CLI there too. I hope this helps in narrowing down the possibilities even a little. Thank you again for your response and help in advance!

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Omar -- thanks for that info. I'll discuss with engineering to see if they have any ideas regarding what could be causing this.

My suspicion is you are experiencing some sort of proxy problem...

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

To completely uninstall the XDK, see this FAQ > https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/faqs/general#uninstall-xdk

0 Kudos
Omar_A_1
New Contributor I

Thanks a million Paul. 

I already followed that uninstalling method as I mentioned in a previous reply.

Please keep in mind that I just tried building using version 2893 and no problems with the build occurred. I will be looking forward to the result of your discussion :)

0 Kudos
Omar_A_1
New Contributor I

As you can see from the pictures below, the build goes through without an issue  when using version 2893:

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Just an update to let you know that the engineer I need to talk to has been out sick for a week, so I haven't been able to make any progress on this point. :(

0 Kudos
Swati_S_Intel1
Employee

@Omar, For the build issue, when you get "Unable to upload the project files" error with 3240, can you copy your log.xdk file right after you get that error and send it to us? The log.xdk file is found here : 

Mac ~/Library/Application Support/XDK/

Windows %LocalAppData%\XDK\

And also attach the .xdk file from your project root.

0 Kudos
Omar_A_1
New Contributor I

Sorry it took me sometime to respond. And thanks a million for everything. Please see the files in the attachments. I couldn't upload the xdk file and had to change the extension to txt. I hope the files help. Thank you again for everything.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

@Omar -- regarding the 5.4.1 giving the big red unsupported error, I was able to talk with the engineer who works with this code and we uncovered a bug in the 3240 release that is causing that big red message to appear. It is due to a bad network connection when the XDK starts. If the XDK cannot connect with our backend servers it will not get the proper list of supported CLI versions. It has a "fallback" set of versions to check against, in that case, but the fallback file contains only CLI 5.1.1, it should also include 5.4.1, but does not (which is the bug).

So, in short, the reason for the error in your original posts is due to the XDK having trouble contacting our backend servers during startup.

Which brings up the question about your network connection and/or proxy or firewall. Are you in a situation where you have a very slow or erratic network? Or, are you behind a firewall or a proxy server? If so, these may be the reason you're seeing some issues with 3240.

0 Kudos
Omar_A_1
New Contributor I

Hello Paul,

I don't know if it is my internet connection. To tell you the truth, I don't think it is since uploading with 2893 always goes well. I am not using any special firewall, nor do I have a proxy issue. At least, nothing has changed in my end at all in these last couple of months. I even tried to connect from another location other than my office, and I faced the same issues. I also tried to use another laptop with not change at all. I am not suggesting it is not an internet problem. I am just thinking that it might be a problem with the server changing the way it deals with may be a slower connection than most. I don't know. All I know is, if it is my network connection, why would 2893 work but the latest version won't?

Thank you Paul and SWATI for everything :)

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Hi Omar,

The way 3240 talks to the backend server changed dramatically, compared to 2893. So the fact that things work in 2893 doesn't help, much, only that it proves you clearly do have a network connection. I'm guessing there's something about that network connection that is key to understanding why the new backend API is failing and the old is not.

How fast is your network connection? Can you perform a speed test from your machine. In what part of the world are you located? There might be a significant lag in your connection to our servers that might be causing timeouts. Can you do a speedtest using this site > http://www.speedtest.net/ < and attach a screenshot of the results?

After you perform the test you will see a rectangle on the world map that you can move to the east coast of the United States. If you could move that rectangle to the area of Virginia and Maryland you should then see dots, which represent locations you can test your speed against. If you can find the one named Richmond, Virginia and select it, then perform the test with that dot. It represents approximately where the servers reside (they sit on Amazon servers).

Also, which OS are you running your system on? Linux, Windows, OSX? Is your system up-to-date? Especially the Linux systems, there's been some issues with old SSL software on Linux machines that causes problems.

Paul

0 Kudos