Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

After Windows 7 installation, can't start Intel XDK

Stanley_E_
Beginner

When I tried to start Intel XDK for the first time, I get the error window showing "the intel xdk encountered a problem and must restart"; I have attached the log.

I am trying to run it on a Windows 7 Home Premium, service pack 1 (64-bit OS) laptop. Every attempt afterwards produces the same error.

Any help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Stan -- are you still seeing this problem? If so, have you submitted a crash log? If not, please do. Engineering regularly reviews the crash logs. I see nothing obvious (to me) in the log you provided. Did you try reinstalling the XDK? Also, did you try the EA version, instead? Are you running any form of anti-virus software? Some AV vendors have mistakenly marked the XDK as an infected app, which is not the case.

0 Kudos
Stanley_E_
Beginner

Thanks for the advice. I uninstalled and reinstalled without any success.
I'll check the AV software. 

Didn't try the EA version, but I did try an earlier version, 2366, which did work.

Not sure about accessing the crash log, the only log available to me 
is the one from "the intel xdk encountered a problem and must restart", which I attached to my original post.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

When you get that "must restart" message are you telling the XDK to send the log and including your email address? Engineering will review those logs if you push them.

0 Kudos
Stanley_E_
Beginner

yes, at the time of the crash I sent the logs to support w/ my email address. 

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Stan -- did you submit with the same email address you're using for the forum? If so, I can ask engineering to look for your crash reports.

0 Kudos
Stanley_E_
Beginner

Thanks for your help, you need not look at my crash log.

I've got XDK (2366) installed on a different machine running Windows 10 and it works.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

I've asked engineering to take a closer look.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Stanley -- the problem you are encountering appears to be an anti-virus problem, where the AV software is deleting a key file in the XDK installation directly, which then causes the XDK to crash.

• What AV software is installed on your system?
  • Is your AV software up-to-date?
  • Can you provide an AV "database version"?

Please let me know, we have been having troubles with some AV vendors falsely marking the XDK as a virus and causing this sort of problem. The more we know about the AV software you are using the more likely we can work with the AV vendor to provide an exception regarding this problem.

0 Kudos