Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Amplifier only showing time a function toke in total

debaetsd
Beginner
Hi,

I'm currently using Amplifier 2011 to search for hotspots in my application (Win7 64bit running Visual Studio 2008)
I'm having the problem that only the time a function toke is displayed and not how long each line of that function. it's probably best if you look at this screenshot to see what I'm talking about.

What can I do about this ?
any suggestion ?

cheers
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Eric_M_Intel2
Employee
Hello,

Your picture doens't show the entire function. I assume that even if you scroll to the bottom of the function you are seeing no time spent in that fucntion.

Assuming that is true, it will be easiest If I can get a copy of this information to figure it out.

Can you send me the results directory, the binary, source,and symbols files which contain this function.

Regards,
Eric M
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Regarding your comment "not how long each line of that function". the Hotspot functionality does NOT record how long each line of code takes to execute - this would cause prohibitive overhead and slow the code to a crawl. Instead, it captures periodic samples of where the code is executing.
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
I'm wondering if there is a problem with the debug information for the module that contains that function. Is this a module that you build, or is it a third-party library? What is your build environment? Can you check and make sure that "full" debug info is being generated by both the compiler and linker?
0 Kudos