Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Android and iOS Intent Filters and Custom URL Schemes

Keith_T_
Beginner

Hello,

I'm building iOS and Android Apps using the Intel XDK.

When the user has the app installed, if they try to visit a certain website: extrasolar.com, I want to launch the app instead.

I believe on iOS this is done using "Custom URL Schemes" and on Android using "Intent Filters". I've tried various plugins and configurations, but nothing seems to work, and there doesn't seem to be a clear answer to the question of how this can be done using the Intel XDK.

In the Intel XDK under Build Settings tab for iOS and Android there is a Whitelist setting for "Intent (<allow-intent>)" that seems relevant.

Is there any information on how this can be accomplished using the Intel XDK?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Search for Cordova and PhoneGap solutions and they will apply to the XDK. The XDK builds a standard Cordova app, so the solutions there apply here. You may have to create a simply plugin to make it work. I believe our FAQ pages may have a recommended solution, please search there, as well.

0 Kudos
Keith_T_
Beginner

I was able to write a plugin to get Android Intent Filters working fairly easily.

I gave up on iOS Custom URL Schemes as the solutions seem very hacked together, and apparently they no longer work in iOS 9 and have been replaced by something called Universal Links. I'm starting another thread on that topic, and while there is a plugin that handles them, it apparently does not work with the Intel XDK because it uses JS hooks to configure native project properly. I saw a recent post saying Intel XDK does not allow this for security reasons.

https://github.com/nordnet/cordova-universal-links-plugin

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Keith -- we are working on a version of our builders that will allow the use of plugin build scripts. No ETA on when that will become available. Thanks for the additional feedback and info regarding intents.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Keith -- we are working on a version of our builders that will allow the use of plugin build scripts. No ETA on when that will become available. Thanks for the additional feedback and info regarding intents.

0 Kudos