Software Archive
Read-only legacy content

Attaching a debugger to PII processor

Vinay_K_
Beginner

Hello,

I am looking for software debuggers, does Intel support any (Debugging on Target) ? I am using Pentium 2 processor and on C++ environment.

Any help is highly appreciated.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Georg_Z_Intel
Employee

Hello,

which operating system do you have in mind?

If you're using Linux, then take a look at GDB (also comes with Intel Parallel Studio XE). On and for Windows, we do not provide a standalone debugger.

I'd also question support of Pentium 2. The minimum processor generation supported with our development tools requires SSE2.

Best regards,

Georg Zitzlsberger

0 Kudos
Vinay_K_
Beginner

Thanks for your inputs Georg. I am on windows operating system. I am working around quite legacy systems that had pentium 2 processors.

If not standalone, is there any other alternate method to debug on the target. Any method that supports in setting up breakpoints and accessing registers/global symbols etc.,. 

0 Kudos
Georg_Z_Intel
Employee

Hello,

You might want to try WinDbg. You get it from Microsoft's WDK:

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/windows-driver-kit

Best regards,

Georg Zitzlsberger

0 Kudos
Vinay_K_
Beginner

Thanks Georg.  

Does ITP-XDP 3BR Kit support P2 procs. What would be the cost involved. 

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Georg_Z_Intel
Employee

Hello,

I see that your request is for system debugging, not application debugging. I've asked a colleague to follow up with you on that. He knows which platforms are supported there.

Best regards,

Georg Zitzlsberger

0 Kudos
Haberstock__Hubert

Hi Vinay,

I do not believe that there is a way to support system debugging on PII based platforms any longer with Intel debuggers. But let me check.

Which JTAG interface is available on your Pentium 2 target platform?

Regards, Hubert.

0 Kudos