Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Backwards compatibility SR300->F200

Ncare
Beginner

I'm in a tricky situation trying to transition from the F200 to the newer SR300. My lab bought the F200 near the end of its availability, and I spent a month or so developing some small software apps pertinent to our particular application. 

We've just sent the old F200 off with a colleague to Africa to run field-tests. I bought the SR300 to replace it in the lab, but (stupidly) didn't realise the newest sensor only runs on Windows 10. I still need to update and repackage our bespoke applications so my colleague can use them in Africa.

Firstly, I'm hoping that any new code I write for the SR300 will be backwards compatible, provided I stick to methods/structures that are common to both cameras. My bigger concern is, I'm not very familiar with Windows as a developer environment - is it possible to ensure that an application I develop here (ie through Visual Studio) can be installed and run on the Windows 8 machine my colleague has taken with him?

Any thoughts/input appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jb455
Valued Contributor II

Our WPF RealSense app works fine on both Win 8 & 10, and I didn't have to change any code to make it compatible with the SR300 when I recieved one (having developed & tested with F200 & R200 before), though I'm only using camera streams, projections and 3D Scanning so YMMV with the other algorithms. My only thought is maybe some 3rd party libraries you import into your project may not be compatible with 8 and 10 but I'm using a fair few and haven't had any problems. If you only have Win10 devices to test on, I'd suggest dual booting one with Win8 so you can test compatibility before sending the software out.

0 Kudos
Ncare
Beginner

Hi James, thanks very much for that info, that makes me much more confident! Fortunately I found another Win8 machine lying around, so I should be able to use that to test the deploy.

0 Kudos
Ncare
Beginner

Update on this: I managed to deploy a WPF application which installs on my colleagues Win8.1 and seems to initialize. However, it is not accessing the sensor. A rudimentary log output shows that it fails to create a PXCMSession - looks like it can't see the F200. I'm using only raw camera streams (depth and RGB), no tracking or higher-level algorithms.

I'm a bit stumped on this, because 1) I'm not using any code exclusive to the SR300 (and in fact the camera-specific elements of the app were all created while I was still working with the F200), and 2) unfortunately I don't have access to an F200 to test with, which makes troubleshooting very difficult.

I can confirm that the application runs fine with an SR300 on Win10, that's about it. Any ideas eagerly welcomed.

Edited to add: the user can use the DCM Camera Explorer to view camera streams, so the problem doesn't appear to be related to the DCM version or the hardware.

0 Kudos