Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Bad performances of GMA 4500MHD

dejudicibus
Beginner
I have a Lenovo T400 laptop (Dual Core) with Mobile Intel GMA 4500MHD (1GB memory & 6.14.10.5002 Lenovo driver version). It seems a powerful video card, but when I go to Second Life it has incredibly bad performances, lower than my old Pentium II desktop with an old GeForce4 card. I am really puzzled... what's wrong?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
dejudicibus
Beginner
Quoting - dejudicibus
I have a Lenovo T400 laptop (Dual Core) with Mobile Intel GMA 4500MHD (1GB memory & 6.14.10.5002 Lenovo driver version). It seems a powerful video card, but when I go to Second Life it has incredibly bad performances, lower than my old Pentium II desktop with an old GeForce4 card. I am really puzzled... what's wrong?

Any help? Please.
0 Kudos
feg
Beginner
Integrated chipsets aren't as powerful as normal cards, but that just seems wrong. The only problems I've noticed are from anyone using Windows 7, as those drivers are prerelease and nowhere near fully functional. But if you're using the stock drivers, you ought to try seeing if either Lenovo or Intel has newer versions.
0 Kudos
delacy__david
Beginner
Quoting - feg
Integrated chipsets aren't as powerful as normal cards, but that just seems wrong. The only problems I've noticed are from anyone using Windows 7, as those drivers are prerelease and nowhere near fully functional. But if you're using the stock drivers, you ought to try seeing if either Lenovo or Intel has newer versions.

its cause u have 1 gb of ram
the IGP uses the system memory to take video memory
increase to 2 gb to get more video memory
0 Kudos
fizzyfanta
Novice
Quoting - dejudicibus

A pentium II agp slot ran at 3.3v as far i can remember. And a gf4 at 1.5v. So that doesnt make sense. Plus there is a big age gap between the two. :)

If you want to improve performance, try running your laptop in symmetrical dual channel mode. To ensure you are running in this mode purchase a dual channel kit, ideally running at the same FSB speed as your processor.

As already stated, 1GB isnt much memory so you would benefit with more ram, since prices are cheap i would recommend you go for a 2x2GB dual channel kit.

If max performance is your aim then a low latency kit such as kingston hyperX is a must as these run with a very low spd timing although cost that little bit extra.

Just dont expect significant gains, the 4500mhd isnt up for gaming.
0 Kudos