Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Building a dual OS system

mwagner62gmail_com
Hello,

I am in the late stages of building (from scratch) a new PC and am planning on using the new i5 2500K CPU. Win 7 64 Pro will be the OS. I am also planning on trying to install Mac's Snow Leopard (hence the dual OS) and using Parallels. However, on the "Compare Specs" on the i5 processor lists, the i5 2500k is listed as not having Intel's Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d). The small information blurb about this states " Intel Virtualization....enables a PC to run multiple operation systems and applications through independent partitions" Hence my question....

Please understand that I am not an engineer and I am getting many differing opinions from friends and from the people selling me my components. I want to have the Apple OS installed so I can run Apple's photo software Aperture. I am not sure if what I want to try is even what the VT-d does or covers or if it is even applicable in my situation!

I appreciate any feedback from the many knowledgeable people on this forum!!

Many thanks.

Mark
Austin, Texas
0 Kudos
2 Replies
David_O_Intel1
Employee
Hi Mark,

You shouldn't have any problem with what you are doing without VT-d.In this context, you might think of VT-d as a performance feature -- nice to have, but will not stop you from gettingthe virtualization fuctionality you're looking for.

Here is some more info VT-d if you'd like to understand it a little better:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2009/06/25/understanding-vt-d-intel-virtualization-technology-for-directed-io/

David Ott
0 Kudos
Christopher_K_
Beginner
Without Intel Hardware Virtualization, a 64-bit CPU will only run a 32-bit OS...even under a 64-bit host OS...at least, that is the case with Sun xVM/Oravle VMVirtualBox.

- CCK
0 Kudos