Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

COI_DOES_NOT_EXIST error

David_F_8
Beginner

Hello all,

I a customized application using SCIF and launching the MIC program with "COIProcessCreateFromFile" and I am getting the following error:

COI ERROR << COIProcessCreateFromFile( engines, server, 0, NULL, false, envVarArray, true, NULL, 0, NULL, &(coiProcess) ) returned COI_DOES_NOT_EXIST

I was assuming that the error had to do with the coi_daemon either on the host side on the MIC side, but if I run any of the Intel COI examples (say "coi_simple") it works fine!

The compilation on for Intel's code and my own complete successfully but my own code produces the error mentioned before.

The compilation files that I am using for the Intel example follows:

DEV_FLAGS ?= -mmic -lcoi_device -rdynamic -Wl,--enable-new-dtags
HOST_FLAGS ?= -lcoi_host -Wl,--enable-new-dtags
DEBUG_FLAGS = -g -O0 -D_DEBUG
RELEASE_FLAGS = -DNDEBUG -O3
DEBUG_DIR = debug
RELEASE_DIR = release

HOST_CC ?= g++
DEV_CC ?= icpc

all: $(DEBUG_DIR)/coi_simple_source_host $(DEBUG_DIR)/coi_simple_sink_mic \
     $(RELEASE_DIR)/coi_simple_source_host $(RELEASE_DIR)/coi_simple_sink_mic

$(DEBUG_DIR)/coi_simple_source_host: coi_simple_source.cpp
    mkdir -p $(DEBUG_DIR)
    $(HOST_CC) $(HOST_FLAGS) $(DEBUG_FLAGS) -o $@ $<

$(RELEASE_DIR)/coi_simple_source_host: coi_simple_source.cpp
    mkdir -p $(RELEASE_DIR)
    $(HOST_CC) $(HOST_FLAGS) $(RELEASE_FLAGS) -o $@ $<

$(DEBUG_DIR)/coi_simple_sink_mic: coi_simple_sink.cpp
    mkdir -p $(DEBUG_DIR)
    $(DEV_CC) $(DEV_FLAGS) $(DEBUG_FLAGS) -o $@ $<

$(RELEASE_DIR)/coi_simple_sink_mic: coi_simple_sink.cpp
    mkdir -p $(RELEASE_DIR)
    $(DEV_CC) $(DEV_FLAGS) $(RELEASE_FLAGS) -o $@ $<

clean:
    rm -rf debug
    rm -rf release

and for my own code is, for the MIC side:

source /opt/mpss/3.5.2/environment-setup-k1om-mpss-linux

# Compiler flags
CXXFLAGS_SCIF="-O2 -m64 -Wall"
MIC_FLAGS="-DMKL_ILP64 -qopenmp -I${MKLROOT}/include " 

# Linker libraries
LIBS_MIC="-lscif -lrt"
LIBS_COI_MIC="-mmic -lcoi_device -rdynamic -Wl,--enable-new-dtags"
LIBS_MKL_MIC="-L${MKLROOT}/lib/mic -lmkl_intel_ilp64 -lmkl_core -lmkl_intel_thread -lpthread -lm -ldl"

# Include directories
COI_INCLUDE="/usr/include/intel-coi"

# Compilers
MIC_CC=icpc

# Compile & Lnik for MIC
$MIC_CC $LIBS_COI_MIC $CXXFLAGS_SCIF $MIC_FLAGS -I$COI_INCLUDE ./src/mic_server.cxx  $LIBS_MIC $LIBS_MKL_MIC -o ./obj/mic_server

For the Host side:

#!/bin/bash
#source ./setup_env.sh
source /opt/mpss/3.5.2/environment-setup-k1om-mpss-linux

# Compiler flags
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -m64 -Wall"
CXXFLAGS_SCIF="-O2 -m64 -Wall"
MIC_FLAGS="-DMKL_ILP64 -qopenmp -I${MKLROOT}/include -mmic" 

# Linker libraries
LIBS_HOST="-qopenmp -lrt"
LIBS_MIC="-lscif -lrt"
OFFLOAD_FLAG="-qoffload-attribute-target=mic"
LIBS_COI_HOST="-lcoi_host -lpthread -Wl,--enable-new-dtags"
LIBS_COI_MIC=" -lcoi_device -lpthread -rdynamic -Wl,--enable-new-dtags"
#LIBS_MKL_MIC="-Wl,--start-group ${MKLROOT}/lib/mic/libmkl_intel_ilp64.a ${MKLROOT}/lib/mic/libmkl_core.a ${MKLROOT}/lib/mic/libmkl_intel_thread.a -Wl,--end-group -lpthread -lm -ldl"
LIBS_MKL_MIC="-L${MKLROOT}/lib/mic -lmkl_intel_ilp64 -lmkl_core -lmkl_intel_thread -lpthread -lm -ldl"

#-L/opt/intel/mic/coi/host-linux-release/lib

# Include directories
COI_INCLUDE="/usr/include/intel-coi"

# Compilers
CXX=icpc
MIC_CC=icpc #k1om-mpss-linux-g++

# Compile for Host
$CXX -c $CXXFLAGS -I${MKLROOT}/include -I$COI_INCLUDE ./src/test_scif_main.cxx $LIBS_HOST -o ./obj/test_scif_main.o
$CXX -c $CXXFLAGS -I$MKLROOT/include ./src/GetTime64.cxx -o ./obj/GetTime64.o
$CXX -c $CXXFLAGS $OFFLOAD_FLAG -I$MKLROOT/include ./src/utilities.cxx $LIBS_HOST -o ./obj/utilities.o$CXX -c $CXXFLAGS_SCIF $LIBS_COI_HOST -I$MKLROOT/include -I$COI_INCLUDE ./src/scif_utilities.cxx -o ./obj/scif_utilities.o

$CXX -c $CXXFLAGS_SCIF $LIBS_COI_HOST -I$MKLROOT/include -I$COI_INCLUDE ./src/test_procs_scif.cxx -o ./obj/test_procs_scif.o

# Linking for Host

$CXX ./obj/test_scif_main.o ./obj/GetTime64.o ./obj/test_procs_scif.o ./obj/scif_utilities.o ./obj/utilities.o -lscif -lcoi_host -qopenmp -Wl,--start-group $MKLROOT/lib/intel64/libmkl_intel_lp64.a $MKLROOT/lib/intel64/libmkl_intel_thread.a $MKLROOT/lib/intel64/libmkl_core.a -Wl,--end-group -lrt -liomp5 -lpthread -lm -ldl -qoffload-option,mic,compiler," -qopenmp -Wl,--start-group $MKLROOT/lib/mic/libmkl_intel_lp64.a $MKLROOT/lib/mic/libmkl_intel_thread.a $MKLROOT/lib/mic/libmkl_core.a -Wl,--end-group -m64 -liomp5 -lpthread -lm -ldl" -o ./test_scif

Best regards,

David

0 Kudos
1 Reply
David_F_8
Beginner

I realized that upon installing MKL update 4 one of my relative paths had changed generating the "COI_DOES_NOT_EXIST" error.

This is related to the library dependencies managed by COI when using this interface to launch the MIC binary within the Host (CPU) and specifying s dependencies in the "SINK_LD_PRELOAD" environment variable that is not resolved successfully.

Just to clarify, when launching the application COI seems to read the environment variable mentioned to determine which libraries to transfer to the MIC.

If the "SINK_LD_PRELOAD" env is not defined or empty then a COI will exit with a "COI_MISSING_DEPENDENCY" error instead. In general missing dependencies will cause this error.

Hope it helps poor souls detecting runtime errors after upgrading MKL.

David

0 Kudos