Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Cross-Compiling Phi Code on Windows

Quant_Geek1
Novice

Hi,

This is probably a simple, setup issue, but I am stumped.  I am compiling a simple application that queries the Phi board.  Currently, I am running this on my laptop that doesn't have any card installed.  After everything is compiled, I ran the application thinking that it would indicate that there are no cards installed and then terminate, but it doesn't work.  Windows is complaining that the application didn't start correctly.  What gives?  I suspected that the application will just return, indicating that there was no Phi card installed...

Note that I am also having problems with all the tutorial code that is found in the SDK as well.  They all return the same error...

Thanks,

John

Phi.png

0 Kudos
16 Replies
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...DLL Initialization Failed... I see that some DLL was not loaded and you need to understand if this is a driver DLL for the Phi card. I would use MS Depends utility to review a list dependent DLLs used by your application. Also, inspect intel-coi headers for all statements like #pragma comment ( lib, "..." ).
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...Note that I am also having problems with all the tutorial code that is found in the SDK as well. They all return the same error... Install the Phi card on a system that supports it and repeat tests. If that problem is not resolved then there is problem with a Visual Studio, or another software subsystem of a Windows. In overall, it is possible that some run-time package is not installed.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
One more note: Try a 64-bit version of your simple test application.
0 Kudos
Quant_Geek1
Novice

Thanks Sergey!  The applications now seem to work once I connected the Akitio Node with the Phi installed, even though the 4GB decoding isn't enabled.  Majority of the driver components are online, except for the main micx64 component.  The applications are now correctly return "0 Engines Available" which is what I was expecting.  Somewhat weird as I suspected this to work without the drivers installed...

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...The applications now seem to work once I connected the Akitio Node with the Phi installed... Could you provide details about your hardware ( computer, model, memory, etc )? Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
Quant_Geek1
Novice

Hi Sergey,

My setup is a bit unconventional, but should work in theory.  The only issue I currently have is that the BIOS doesn't support the "Above 4GB  Decoding" that is required for the Phi.  This is causing the resources to be exhausted for the PCI and hence prevents the driver from going online fully.  I am in the process of trying to resolve that final issue.  My system is as follows:

MSI GT83VR 6RF Laptop (i7-Intel Core i7-6920HQ 2.9GHz/ 64GB DDR4/ 1TB HDD + 2x 512GB PCIe SSD/ 2x GeForce GTX 1080)

AKitio Node Thunderbolt 3 to PCIe Chassis (this is to connect the Phi to the laptop via the Thunderbolt 3 port)

Regards,

John

0 Kudos
gaston-hillar
Valued Contributor I

Hi Sergey,

John has an opened thread related to the potential usage of Intel Xeon Phi connected to Thunderbolt 3 and a laptop. The following is the thread: https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-many-integrated-core/topic/719921

In case you ever made such a configuration work, it would be great to know your experience in this thread. :)

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>... >>My system is as follows: >> >>MSI GT83VR 6RF Laptop (i7-Intel Core i7-6920HQ 2.9GHz/ 64GB DDR4/ 1TB HDD + 2x 512GB PCIe SSD/ 2x GeForce GTX 1080) >> >>AKitio Node Thunderbolt 3 to PCIe Chassis (this is to connect the Phi to the laptop via the Thunderbolt 3 port) >>... >>... >>John has an opened thread related to the potential usage of Intel Xeon Phi connected to Thunderbolt 3 and a laptop >>... Thank you for the information. One more question is: John, what Phi card are you using? PS: I'd like to have a similar system...
0 Kudos
Quant_Geek1
Novice

I currently  have two SC7120s.  One is actively cooled (SC7120A), whereas the second one is passively cooled (SC7120P).  The SC7120A is the one I am currently trying to get up and running.  The SC7120P requires a fan shroud that I am currently waiting to be manufactured.  It will allow me to install this into a workstation with adequate ventilation.   Here are some pics of the fan shroud:

p1.jpg

p4.jpg

Here is a picture of the SC7120A installed inside the Akitio Node chassis.  Sorry for the grainy picture.  I usually have the office lights dimmed:

p6.jpg

Eventually, I would like to move to a larger chassis that has 3 PCIe slots so that I can house both the cards, plus an Altera Stratix FPGA board.  But this is all secondary until I can get the laptop BIOS modified for "Above 4GB Decoding"...

John

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Thank you, John! I see that you have Intel® Xeon Phi™ Coprocessor of x100 Product Family ( Knights Corner ). I wish Intel would release a small factor KNL board for notebooks...
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...I can get the laptop BIOS modified for "Above 4GB Decoding"... Please keep update on it.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
John, I think you need to look at Intel Software Development Emulator ( SDE ) because its latest version supports all Intel ISAs up to AVX-512. I ran Linux versions of some scientific software compiled for AVX-512 ISA on a real KNL server and on all the rest Linux computer systems around me without AVX-512 ISA using SDE version 7.58.0 for Linux.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
In case of Windows I use SDE version 7.49.0: ... C:\>sde.exe -version Intel(R) Software Development Emulator. Version: 7.49.0 external Copyright (C) 2008-2016, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved. ...
0 Kudos
Quant_Geek1
Novice

Interesting...  I wasn't aware of the SDE.  I am definitely downloading this.  Thanks Sergey!

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
The only issue with SDE is that applications work slower ( I'll post some performance numbers later ).
0 Kudos
gaston-hillar
Valued Contributor I

Sergey,

It would be great to see an article / blog in which you can provide performance numbers related to the usage of SDE. I do believe it would be an extremely useful reference. Looking forward to it! :)

0 Kudos