Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Does the SR300 camera work with VMware Fusion on OSX?

luke_E_
Beginner

I'm having an issue trying to get my SR300 to work in a virtual environment (VMware Fusion v8.1.1).  I'm using a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014) which has 2 x USB3.0 ports.  When I connect the SR300 to my Mac (running OSX 10.11.2) the device shows up on the internal USB3.0 hub as 'Intel RealSense(TM) Camera SR300.  Another device also shows up below the USB 3.0 Hub > USB 2.0 Hub as Creative VF0800.  The virtual machine is running Windows 10 Pro (version 1511 OS Build 10586.318).  I'm running v8.0.24.6528 of the Intel Realsense SDK.  When I connect the SR300 to the USB 3.0 port on my Mac it asks if I want to connect the device to my Mac or to the Windows VM so I select the Windows option.  In Device Manager I can see Creative VF0800 under Audio inputs and outputs.  It also shows under Sound, video and game controllers.  It does not show under Image Devices.  I can only see VMware Virtual USB Video Device under Image Devices (which is mapped to my Mac's camera).  Under USB devices it shows up as a USB Composite Device using a standard Microsoft driver.  When I run the Camera Explorer app it says there are no cameras connected.  I tried installing the SR300 device driver using the intel_rs_dcm_sr300_3.1.25.2599.exe file.  The installation fails with 'The installer failed to detect an Intel® RealSense™ 3D camera on this system. The installation was terminated.'  I then installed USBDeview which shows the Creative VF0800 device.  I can't see any entry for the SR300 camera.  I’ve tried switching the VMware Virtual USB Video Device to use the Intel Realsense Camera but that doesn’t seem to resolve the issue.  The only difference it makes is that the green light on the front of the SR300 lights up when I select the SR300 in the VMware Fusion Camera options window.  Is anyone running the SR300 camera in a virtual environment?  I've used other 3D cameras with this setup with no issues (e.g. Primesense Carmine 1.09).

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Placide_M_
Beginner

Hi Luke E. I have the same issue with a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) which has 2 x USB3.0 ports. The virtual machine (Parallels Desktop) is running Windows 10 Pro. I also installed Windows 10 Pro using Bootcamp, the same issue occurs. Unfortunately it seems that nobody can help us on Intel community. What to do to solve this problem? Intel support can help us?

0 Kudos
samontab
Valued Contributor II

Virtual machines are not officially supported.

It's usually hard to make external hardware work correctly with a VM. It's just a pain to make it work, and sometimes it's not reliable at all. I would not recommend developing this way.

I recommend you to use librealsense instead since it supports OS X natively.

Or alternatively, just get Windows installed natively. Working with hardware is different to working with just software...

0 Kudos
luke_E_
Beginner

Hi Sebastian

Thanks for your reply.  I will try using the librealsense on OSX but ideally I wanted to get familiar with the RealSense SDK which is not available on OSX.

What I don't understand is why the Primesense Carmine 1.09 works without issues in a virtual environment yet the Intel RealSense SR300 does not.  I've not had any issues connecting hardware to a VM in the past so I'm surprised it's happening with the SR300. 

I could install Windows natively using BootCamp but Placide M. has said he tried that and it also didn't work.

Does anyone else have any experience successfully connecting an SR300 in a virtual environment?  

I'd like to rule out there being a fault with the camera - any suggestions?

Thanks 

Luke

0 Kudos
samontab
Valued Contributor II

Well, it's not really a surprise for me. RealSense cameras use USB3, whereas your Primesense Carmine 1.09 uses USB2. That's probably the main reason why one works and the other doesn't.

I haven't heard anyone having a working virtual environment with SR300, so you would be on your own there. And I think it would be a bit hard to make it work. Much better to use that time and effort to actually create something with the camera.

I don't think there's a problem with the camera, as everything that you have mentioned so far is expected.

0 Kudos
luke_E_
Beginner

Ok thanks for your advise - I'll do that

0 Kudos