Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

E8600 board doesn't show POST on startup?

roblsmith
Beginner
I have a brand new E8600 mobo that works great.

However at startup it does not show any POST dialog that I am used to seeing.

All the Intel, Windows logos show fine.

There is a few seconds of a black screen with a 2 line 'flash' that says "Initializing .... (something) but no listing of the usual POST dialog.

Is there some way to get this to show?

thanks
0 Kudos
8 Replies
cdhooper
Beginner
Your motherboard manufacturer might be able to provide more information as to how to display traditional BIOS messages. Most likely you would press a key during the Intel logo to enter the BIOS and then from within the BIOS menu select whether you want the Intel logo or text to appear during initialization. Keys I recommend you try during the Intel logo are: ESC, Delete, F2, F1, F8, and then if still nothing the rest of the function keys. Good luck!
0 Kudos
Adam
Beginner
Quoting - roblsmith
I have a brand new E8600 mobo that works great.

However at startup it does not show any POST dialog that I am used to seeing.

All the Intel, Windows logos show fine.

There is a few seconds of a black screen with a 2 line 'flash' that says "Initializing .... (something) but no listing of the usual POST dialog.

Is there some way to get this to show?

thanks

As the previous poster said above, there are settings that your manufacture has that control the verbosity of the output. I find that many reliable BIOS manufacturers and OEM follows similar patterns of navigation. So it will be somewhere in "general settings" or "CMOS settings" or "Diagnostics" or "Boot" settings.

Be warned however that this may make things slower on some BIOS - my IBM Thinkpad T42 for instance has a BIOS that slows down upon full verbosity modes. So I would recommend that, unless that info is actually necessary, to perhaps leave it as it is. With your motherboard being a modern motherboard, the slow BIOS issue may/may not be so much of an issue.

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

If you cannot find the hot key to enter BIOS setup. Power down, disconnect hard drive, try boot with no boot disk. The BIOS will likely show itself (disclosing the hot key) and you may be able to directly enter BIOS setup to make some change to keep the POST visible and give you a second or two to hit the BIOS setup hot key.

Jim Dempsey
0 Kudos
roblsmith
Beginner
Quoting - cdhooper
Your motherboard manufacturer might be able to provide more information as to how to display traditional BIOS messages. Most likely you would press a key during the Intel logo to enter the BIOS and then from within the BIOS menu select whether you want the Intel logo or text to appear during initialization. Keys I recommend you try during the Intel logo are: ESC, Delete, F2, F1, F8, and then if still nothing the rest of the function keys. Good luck!

Thanks but using F2 to get in the Bios, I see no such similar options.

The tabs are:

Main
Advanced
Performance
Security
Power
Boot (boot order - only choices are Advanced and Normal - I tried them both)
The mfgshows asIntel DP45SG Extreme Series.

Any other suggestions anyone?

0 Kudos
roblsmith
Beginner
Quoting - roblsmith

0 Kudos
Adam
Beginner
Quoting - roblsmith
Quoting - cdhooper

The tabs are:

Main
Advanced
Performance
Security
Power
Boot (boot order - only choices are Advanced and Normal - I tried them both)

Try inside either Main or Advanced. Performance and Security would be perhaps the last ones I would try out but it is probably worth it.

What is the date of that BIOS?

Usually I find the settings for controlling the verbosity of the BIOS activity is hidden very deeply. It took me a lot of poking around to find it in my system.

0 Kudos
roblsmith
Beginner
Quoting - Adam Kachwalla

Try inside either Main or Advanced. Performance and Security would be perhaps the last ones I would try out but it is probably worth it.

What is the date of that BIOS?

Usually I find the settings for controlling the verbosity of the BIOS activity is hidden very deeply. It took me a lot of poking around to find it in my system.

0 Kudos
roblsmith
Beginner
Quoting - roblsmith

Thanks guys, I really appreciate everyone's persistence but I've tried every option/variable in:

F2 BIOS
F10 Boot Menu

and I can't find anything that remotely links to the bios dialog. I'm going to table it for now until I can contact Intel directly.
0 Kudos