Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Edit|Paste fails in Developer Studio

Intel_C_Intel
Employee
Has anyone else had this problem? or found a solution?

I select some text in Developer Studio, press Ctrl-C, move the cursor, press Ctrl-V--and nothing is pasted! I then open Notepad and press Ctrl-V, and the text is pasted. I select it in Notepad, press Ctrl-C, return to Developer Studio, press Ctrl-V, and the gremlin is gone. Quite annoying.

Dick
(IE5/WinNT, msg. prepared with no special treatment of newlines)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
I have seen this problem when a mis-behaved Visual Studio Add-In was loaded. The work-around was to unload the add-in when this symptom started and re-load the add-in when I needed its functionality again. The best solution is to actually re-write the add-in and fix the problem. It's on my (long) list. (oops) :-)

-John
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
I see this problem all the time. It is very sporadic too. I'll be going along fine, doing cuts and paste's with reckless abandon, then all of a sudden, Boom! I'll cut or copy a line or two, and I can't paste it. The problem won't occur, though if I try copying 3 (or 4 or 5) or more lines. So what I then do is paste more than what I need and delete the rest.

In my case, though, I don't think Add-ins were/are the problem. While
I do have a couple of add-ins that are always loaded, a) the problem occurred before I ever started using the add-in feature, and b) I can have add-in's loaded and the problem will not occur, then all of a sudden I lose the ability to paste, without my having used the add-in at all.

I am curious though, John, what do mean by misbehaving Add-in? Does that Add-in actually have to be manipulating the clipboard in an inappropriate manner to be a culprit?

For me, I do believe the problem is dependent in some way on my specific configuration of software and service pack levels of those packages. Since there are not very many complaints of this (here or in the Microsoft support forums), I gotta believe this is the case since it is not widespread. I was seeing this on my old system, and when I upgraded my computer this last summer, and reinstalled all my usual software, I starting seeing it again. Maybe there is a dll somewhere that gets overwritten by some other program that is causing the problem - I don't know.

What software are you running?

Incidentally, there used to be some interaction with Exceed and Wordperfect relating to cut/paste. If Exceed was started after opening WP, it would kill WP's cut/paste ability. That bug has long since been fixed, though, but there's nothing to say it can't happen elsewhere.

Hope that helps,
Chris
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
> ...
> I am curious though, John, what do mean by misbehaving Add-in? Does that
> Add-in actually have to be manipulating the clipboard in an inappropriate
> manner to be a culprit?

> For me, I do believe the problem is dependent in some way on my specific
> configuration of software and service pack levels of those packages.
> ...

Hi Chris,

The symptoms only showed for people when my add-in was loaded, so I assumed it was "misbehaving". It hasn't been a priority to fix, since I wrote it on a dare, and the workaround (unload, re-load) was known. ;-)

But just searching around this morning, I did find a reference to this problem on a commercial Add-In site. The reference pointed to MS KB article Q231652: PRB: Paste Fails in the VC IDE After Installing NT 4.0 SP4. I'll play around with the fix and see if I'm off the hook. Maybe I'm not so "misbehaving" after all!

-John
0 Kudos