Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Emotion detection using F200

Roshan_K_
Beginner
Hi, Is there any way to detect user emotions using Intel Realsense F200 camera? I read in some article in this forum that "Emotion detection has been removed from the RealSense SDK". If yes, is there any alternative suggested to detect emotion using F200? Any pointer to any third party solution using F200 (or without F200)? Thank you.
0 Kudos
9 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

In my own project, I use the Unity game engine with RealSense to detect emotions based on the angle of rotational joints in objects representing facial parts.  The objects are controlled with facial tracking scripts supplied with the RealSense SDK, such as 'TrackingAction'. 

For example, if a rotating object representing an eyebrow, and tied to the movement of the user's real-life eyebrow, rotates downward to a certain angle then it is recognized by my project as being an "angry" expression, since a downward-pointing angle on a real-life eyebrow represents anger on a human face.  If the object rotates upwards, representing upward flexing of the eyebrow, then that is recognized as a "happy" emotion.

The same principle can be applied to the mouth's lips, as the corners rotate upwards diagonally when happy and downwards diagonally when angry.

0 Kudos
Roshan_K_
Beginner

Thanks for the reply. It is nice suggestion to calculate Emotion.

I was exploring further and came across PXCMEmotion class. The latest SDK does not have this. Is there any substitute for this class in latest SDK? Or anything similar available which matches functionalities close to this class?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

The emotion component was provided by a third-party company called Emotient which has recently been purchased by Apple.  Usually when a company is being bought by Apple, they cease issuing new licences for their technology or renewing existing licensing agreements.  This may be related to why the Emotient emotion component was removed from the SDK.

As far as I know, there is not a replacement emotion detection component for the SDK and going to the top Google results about RealSense emotion lead to a broken link.  I suspect your best chance is to do what I did and think of ways to adapt the remaining features to simulate emotion.  

For example, a non-Unity way to gauge emotion might be to use the infra-red function to read the blood-flow under the skin of the user's face (represented by different shades of monochrome color) and assign emotions to the different shades.  For example, a deeper shade could indicate a state of happiness / excitement due to the face becoming flush, whilst a lighter shade could indicate upset or shock (as in "the blood drained from their face in shock" or "they went pale with fright").

0 Kudos
samontab
Valued Contributor II

Hey Marty,

You reckon the IR camera has enough resolution to capture that? or more importantly, is blood flow visible at near-IR?

Maybe....

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

There's precedent for the camera being used to read blood flow with IR.  One of the earliest demonstrated applications for RealSense in 2014 was as a heart rate sensor, with the heart rate being calculated based on how much blood was under the skin on the area of the body that the camera was looking at.

Some googling of the technique found a blog article from last summer about it.  Apparently, the official term for heart sensing is 'pulse estimation'.  In the article, they suggested that a way of sensing a pulse without needing a high camera resolution was to examine color changes and count each change as one pulse.  So by counting in that way, you could get a 'pulse per minute' value.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/pulse-detection-with-intel-realsense-technology

The article also mentions other ways of estimating blood flow using IR, such as reading the veins.

0 Kudos
Bryan_B_Intel1
Employee

More information on Pulse Estimation in the current SDK 2016 R1 documetation: https://software.intel.com/sites/landingpage/realsense/camera-sdk/v1.1/documentation/html/index.html?doc_face_pulse_estimation_data.html

0 Kudos
samontab
Valued Contributor II

This looks promising. Thanks guys!

0 Kudos
Carl_L_1
Beginner
I know of two medical products that fall under the neurofeedback topic and use IR lasers to read the blood volume that accumulates in a person's pre-frontal cortex.... nir-HEG and pir-HEG.
0 Kudos
samontab
Valued Contributor II

That sounds interesting. I'll see what I can do with that.

0 Kudos