Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Error creating project: TypeError: Cannot read property 'length' of undefined

Hung_T_
Beginner

Intel XDK build 3491

Windows 7 64-bit

Created new project with template = HTML5 + Cordova + Use App Designer checked

received error "Error creating project: TypeError: Cannot read property 'length' of undefined"

The project was created, but App Designer doesn't seem to be present in the opened project.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Can you ZIP the ENTIRE project folder and attach it to this forum thread. Under the "Attach Files to Post" link, below, you'll find a button that can be used to attach files to your post.

0 Kudos
Hung_T_
Beginner

Sorry.  I didn't have a chance until now.  Here you go.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Hung -- not sure what the problem is. One of the examples you provided does open as an App Designer project (you have to open the index.html file to see the code/design buttons). The other is not an App Designer project, it was not created with App Designer and does not include a standard App Designer index.html file.

Please re-check the process you are using to create your projects. You MUST check the "use app designer" box to create an App Designer project. That is the only way to create an AD project. You cannot convert an existing project into an AD project.

0 Kudos
Hung_T_
Beginner

Paul -- I get the error with or without App Designer checked.  I decided to uninstall XDK and reinstall it after deleting all project folders (I also reinstalled it in the default directory this time instead of a custom directory).  

After reinstall, I created a blank project with App Designer checked and with myself logged in through XDK.  This time around, it went through without problem, and I am able to see the code/design buttons.  

After successfully creating the first project, I clicked on projects tab and then closed the project using the button on the top right of the projects tab window.  This closed the first project with App Designer and took me back to the initial screen for creating a new project.  

After closing the first project, I created a second project without App Designer checked.  This time, the error showed up.  Also, I wasn't able to close the second project similarly as I did the first project.  I tried to open the first project at this point, and the XDK was stuck trying to load it, so I closed XDK and relaunched it.  At this point, XDK opened with my first project with no error and App Designer available.  

In conclusion, I think the problem could be from closing the project?  Thanks for your help.  I appreciate it.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Hung -- yes, I've seen some weird problems in this release related to using that (x) close icon in the upper right. Unfortunately, I've not been able to create any useful repeatable scenarios, so I've not been able to get any help from engineering with debugging what is going on. Like you, I've noticed that I have to exit and restart the XDK to get it working again if I monkey with that "close" thing.

0 Kudos
Sergio_C_3
Beginner

It is kind of weird problem, I had the same. However if you wait and go directly to the "develop" tab, the App Designer will appear.

0 Kudos
Tyler_S_1
Beginner

Hey I am having the same problem even though this isn't my first app. It gives me the error "TypeError: Cannot read property 'indexOf' of undefined" while trying to open it for the first time.

0 Kudos
Radha_W_
Beginner

I am also facing the same issue from last month. I am making game in construct 2.

below are the errors.

Error opening project

TypeError: Cannot read property 'length' of undefined

TypeError: Cannot read property 'indexOf' of undefined

I have tried the another xdk file in intel xdk that's works good.

and one another thing is some time the error has not shown in same project and apk generated successfully, but when i install that apk in phone, the app have crashed, means when i clicked on play button the game had exit.
I hope you will suggest something.

Thanks

0 Kudos