Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

F200 Problems on a Microsoft Surface Book?

Customer__Intel7
Beginner

Hi,

I've been running the F200 camera on a couple of systems for a while and it's been fine for me. I run it on a Dell All-In-One where it's built in (2350 model I think) and I also have the dev kit camera which I run on a Microsoft Surface Pro 3.

I've recently attached that same camera to a Microsoft Surface Book (i7, discrete GPU model) which is higher spec'd than the Surface Pro 3 but I find that I have trouble with the camera in that when I use any code that tries to talk to the camera then about 80% of the time the camera light comes on green then goes off and the app doesn't initialise (this includes my own apps and the SDK samples).

I'm plugging the camera straight into the USB slots on the Surface Book itself, there's no hub involved. I've got the latest SDK and I've checked the driver versions for the 3 imaging devices on both systems and they are reporting the same driver versions. Both systems are also running Windows 10 10586.218.

Could anyone help me diagnose what's likely to be causing the problem on the Surface Book please?

Thanks

Mike.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
samontab
Valued Contributor II

I reckon the problem is the power from the USB.

Some laptops reduce the energy consumed by USB peripherals to preserve battery. Check your battery plan, and make sure you have everything set to the maximum. And better yet, make sure you have the laptop plugged in, and using the least power efficient plan.

0 Kudos
Customer__Intel7
Beginner

Yes, I think you're probably right. I have the laptop plugged in and I've tried to set up power plans to not turn off the USB devices and so on and yet I still find that what happens when I run a RealSense app is;

• About 90% of the time the green camera light comes on and then goes off.
  • About 10% of the time the green camera light comes on, stays on and the camera works with the app

I wonder whether the USB configuration of the Surface Book is quite different from the Surface Pro 3 given that it has 2xUSB slots rather than 1xUSB slot and maybe there's some kind of internal hub in the device?

Mike.

0 Kudos
daflippers
Beginner

Hi Mike,

Use the USBview sample to see how the device enumerates and if the external port is via a hub.  I'm sure you know where it is but for others https://github.com/Microsoft/Windows-driver-samples/tree/master/usb/usbview​.

David

0 Kudos
志成_符_
Beginner

May be you should close one of the video card of surface book manually. Two video card may bring some curious problem.

0 Kudos