Software Archive
Read-only legacy content

Feature request: Automatic app icon scaling

Nick_S_1
Beginner

Hello,

I am surprised that no one has asked this before. With the huge assortment of app icons that are required now, could you guys include a new input that will take one image (per platform) and scale it down to match each of the required sizes? It would save a lot of time for us. After it is scaled down, the user can then go back and manually replace the blurry ones.

Also, is there anyone that uploads separate icons for portrait and landscape views? I do not think you can set the home screen to landscape in IOS. Could you change it so that when one is uploaded, it uploads the respective view's icon?

Thank you

0 Kudos
5 Replies
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

An auto-scaling icon feature has been asked for, many times, both product users and internal product developers. There are web sites and apps available that will do this for you.

All icons are square, so there is no difference between landscape and portrait for an icon. I think you are referring to splash screens (aka launch screens)? It is possible to specify whether an iOS app is portrait or landscape, in which case, the splash screen distinctions make sense (since they are not square).

0 Kudos
Nick_S_1
Beginner

Paul,

Yes, but since the past (I think 2) releases there are now 42 icons I need to click on and locate when building apps for Android and IOS. A serious pain.

Of all of the icon generating sites I have found, none make every single icon size required by XDK, so I have to manually open up Photoshop and resize anyway. (Specifically iPad Pro 187px)

As for the orientation; yes, XDK call for completely different icons depending on the device orientation.

0 Kudos
Nick_F_2
New Contributor III

I have to agree that having to manually create so many variations on the same image purely to satisfy the launch or splash screen is getting rather silly and tedious,

Having said that, to automatically generate these would also be troublesome as the aspect ration between devices is different and by the time you repair the distorted or badly scaled versions you might as well have done them from scratch. I'm sure there must be a solution, but as yet, its manual all the way.

0 Kudos
Cheryl_O_
Beginner

I agree that loading the app icons is a HUGE pain!  I made them myself, manually at first, but then found this site that does it automatically, and you can also add custom sizes: http://www.gieson.com/Library/projects/utilities/icon_slayer/#.V5Ol9ORTGUl

With that said, Intel XDK does ask for the same app icons for portrait and landscape (not just splash screens). Is it really necessary to ask for both and does it even matter (it's the same thing - so double the work).

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Unfortunately, it is necessary to ask for both landscape and portrait images, because they are not guaranteed to be the same for all developers and because the way they are specified for a Cordova build requires that.

0 Kudos