Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

GUI with Fortran?

waynebruce
Beginner
Is it possible to build a Windows GUI directly from Visual Fortran? Or should I do a link between a GUI written in Visual C and my actual Fortran program? Any help in getting me started on learning how to build a GUI in Visual Fortran is greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
canaimasoft
Beginner
Yes, you can build it directly using Visual Fortran. Check QuickWin and Using Dialogs in the Programmers Guide for a starter. There are also several third-party libraries that target this area with the advantage of being platform-independent (e.g. Gino, Winteracter, etc.). You can also easily build your GUI with VB, Delphi, or VC and interface it with your Fortran code (I personally favor this approach, as it gives you much more flexibility and selection). So there are quite a few possibilities. We produced a step-by-step tutorial explaining how to use VB for building GUIs for your fortran programs and one of our products (f90VB), you can download it from http://www.canaimasoft.com/f90VB/OnlineManuals/Default.htm. With a little extra work you should be able to adapt the examples to use only the libraries/resources provided in CVF.

Regards,

Marco Garcia
Canaima Software
www.canaimasoft.com
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
CVF provides many sample applications, and if you select Fortran Windows Application as your project type, you can ask it to create a complete (but minimal) sample application that you can expand from there. Look through the samples (there's a samples.htm in the Samples folder that describes them) and try them out.

Steve
0 Kudos