Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

HAXM not available on processor?

Agen_D_
Beginner

Hi, I installed Hyper-V on my machine and have been using it with Visual Studio 2015's Android Emulator, which has been working great. But I need to now use another Android Emulator which uses HAXM. So I tried to install HAXM and got:

This computer does not support Intel Virtualization Technology (VT-x). HAXM cannot be installed. Please refer to the Intel HAXM documentation for more information.

haxm_check.exe reports "VT support -- no". Not believing this was true, because Hyper-V works, I proceeded to the HAXM troubleshooting page. This is when I learn you cannot have Hyper-V and HAXM side-by-side. So I disabled Hyper-V with the following command:

bcdedit /set {current} hypervisorlaunchtype auto

After I reboot I ran this command to make sure it committed:

bcdedit /enum /v

But when I try to install HAXM again, I get the same error. So just to make sure, I opened up the Windows Features control panel (in Windows 10 Anniversary Update) and completely uninstalled Hyper-V from Windows. It rebooted and still HAXM gives the same error. Then I try the next step of the troubleshooting page and it says to try this command:

bcdedit /set nx AlwaysOn

I don't have a clue what 'nx' is, but it was set to 'OptIn' before so I run the command and then reboot. I still get the same error when trying to install HAXM. So next I try the Crystal CPUID tool and it reports my machine does not support VT:

cpuid.png

But this doesn't make any sense to me because my BIOS clearly has an option for VT and its even enabled:

WP_20161003_14_08_18_Rich_LI.jpg

I tried with Intel(R) TXT(LT) Support enabled, also. Now my next step is to track down what the CPU supports. The CPU in this machine is "Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1650 v3 @ 3.50GHz​" and here is the product page for it. Here is what it says for features:

Intel® Virtualization Technology (VT-x) ‡
‡ This feature may not be available on all computing systems. Please check with the system vendor to determine if your system delivers this feature, or reference the system specifications (motherboard, processor, chipset, power supply, HDD, graphics controller, memory, BIOS, drivers, virtual machine monitor-VMM, platform software, and/or operating system) for feature compatibility. Functionality, performance, and other benefits of this feature may vary depending on system configuration.

It is pretty ambiguous if it should support it or not, so I head to the PC manufacturer. This PC is an HP Z440, and here is the product page for it. The datasheet for the PC says:

Processors 4,5
5 Some vPro functionality of this technology, such as Intel® Active management technology and Intel Virtualization technology, requires additional 3rd party software in order to run. Availability of future "virtual appliances" applications for Intel vPro technology is dependent on 3rd party software providers. Microsoft Windows required.

Now I /think/ the 3rd party software in order to run is HAXM? Is that true?

This is a fairly new processor and I would be surprised if it doesn't support VT. In fact if it didn't support VT why is it in the BIOS? Why would Hyper-V work? I went through all the troubleshooting steps and I got nowhere.

Bottom line: should my machine support VT and if so how do I get HAXM to install?

Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Agen_D_
Beginner

There is a typo above, I wrote:

bcdedit /set {current} hypervisorlaunchtype auto

I copied the wrong line from my notes, the value should not be auto, it should be off:

bcdedit /set {current} hypervisorlaunchtype off

In any case, as I mentioned, I had completely uninstalled Hyper-V after this.

Fortunately, after days of dealing with this I finally was able to get it to be resolved. I determined the problem had nothing to do with HAXM or my processor, it was Windows 10. To conclude this I would run systeminformation.exe and seeing what virtualization features were available for my machine. This is documented in this walkthrough. However systeminformation.exe still said I had a hypervisor installed even though Hyper-V is completely gone from my system. So I disabled VT in the BIOS and then systeminformation.exe properly reflected by showing me I didn't have the necessary requirements for a hypervisor. haxm_check.exe reflected this change also. Then I reenabled VT in the BIOS and Windows 10 again thought I had a hypervisor installed.

My investigation of virtualization on Windows led me to Secure Boot. Disabling/enabling Secure Boot didn't resolve the problem for me either. However, researching Secure Boot actually pointed me to Device Guard. Device Guard was the offender on my machine which locked VT. I was able to disable Device Guard by modifying this registry key value:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceGuard\EnableVirtualizationBasedSecurity

And setting the value to 0. Then rebooting and VT is suddenly available again.

I hope this helps somebody in the future...

0 Kudos
chetan_r_1
Beginner

I exactly ran into this in the last few days after the windows 10 anniversary update.  Before the anniversary update I was able to install HAXM in the machine and spin up android emulator.  These are the following things I have done till now on the machine:

1. Checked bios to make sure virtualization is enabled.

2. Executed bcdedit /set {current} hypervisorlaunchtype off

3. Executed bcdedit /set nx AlwaysOn

4. Set the deviceguard bit to 0 (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceGuard\EnableVirtualizationBasedSecurity)

5. Made sure hyper-v is not installed (by going to Windows Features control panel appwiz.cpl)

I am running Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4800MQ CPU @ 2.70GHz.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!.

0 Kudos
Jun_H_Intel
Employee

Pls update HAXM to v6.0.4, via google update or download directly from intel develop zone. This will fix this issue on Windows 10, Thanks!

0 Kudos
chetan_r_1
Beginner

I tried v6.0.4 too, it didn't help.

0 Kudos
Jun_H_Intel
Employee

Since Agen D finally resolved by Disable Device guard, Do you have Device guard? What about your Secure boot settings in BIOS? Thanks!

0 Kudos
chetan_r_1
Beginner

I tried the registry modifications suggested by Agent-D and I am still running into the error while installing the haxm driver.

0 Kudos
chetan_r_1
Beginner

I have turned off device guard.  I don't want to disable secure boot and expose the machine during boot.

0 Kudos
Jun_H_Intel
Employee

Your problem started from Windows 10 update, then this issue is probably because Windows 10 update enabled hyper-V. Now VT is still reported by haxm_check.exe as disabled (it can’t distinguish between “not supported” and “disabled”), which is different from BIOS setting, then I’m afraid the problem is unrelated to HAXM, because even the third-party CPUID tool (CrystalCPUID) reports the same. You probably won’t be able to run other non-Microsoft hypervisors (VirtualBox, VMware, etc.) either. You may want to contact Microsoft or your PC manufacturer (HP) for support to disable Hyper-V. If any thing works, please let us know. Thanks!

0 Kudos