Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

How can a Fortran user benefit from the Ct technology

anders_salwenswerea_
Hi,
I am probably asking something stupid. Anyhow, is the Ct technlogy (=Intel parallel Studio?) usable if you have built your application i Fortran and need to parallelize without problems?
If not, when will there be a Fortran solution?
Best regards
Anders
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Anders,

Intel's Ct technology is not part of Intel Parallel Studio and, at present, it does not support Fortran. You can read more at Intel's Ct Technology.

There are various methods of doing parallelism in Forran today, and more will be coming in the future. Today you can use OpenMP, MPI or native threads, as well as the compiler's automatic parallelism option. In the future we will be supporting the DO CONCURRENT and coarray features from the Fortran 2008 standard.

I will comment, though, that "parallelize without problems" is perhaps unattainable, though we are striving to provide tools and features that reduce the problems as much as possible.

If you come visit us in the Fortran forums (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X), there are experts in parallelism there who can answer your questions.

I hope this has been helpful.
0 Kudos
anders_salwenswerea_
Steve,
Thamk you very much for your answer. I guess trying to mix C++ using Ct and Fortran is not a
solution to my problem. I found the Ct approach very attractive. I think I represent a special category of
Fortran users that spend most of the time on model physics and numerics and therefore have little force left to optimize the code by detailed programming.

Best regards/AS
0 Kudos