Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

How to add Mini PCI Express Slot to the PCIE root ports

Vamsi_Reddy_C_
Beginner

Hi 

I tried to generate the BIOS using the Firmware Engine by adding the Mini PCI Express slots to the PCIE1 and PCIE3 interfaces, unfortunately, the firmware engine says that it is unable to determine a firmware module solution, But when I remove the Mini PCI Express slots from the GUI, the firmware engine will generate the BIOS. Please see the screenshots.

The firmware engine could able to generate the BIOS when I add PCI Express X1, X16 and X8 slots to the PCIE root ports. It is very strange to me, why does the Firmware Engine fails to create the BIOS when I add the Mini PCI Express slots to the PCIE root ports.

Any inputs are very much appreciated. 

Thanks

Vamsi

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Vamsi_Reddy_C_
Beginner

Hi

I went back to the v2.1.1, the Firmware engine now generates the BIOS bin file with the Mini PCIe Express ports connected to the root ports. 

The issue is with the Firmware engine software version 3.0.0.

Vamsi

0 Kudos
BrianRichardson
Employee

Thanks, we're investigating this issue.

0 Kudos
Jarlstrom_Intel
Employee

Mini Pci Express must be connected to BOTH PCIe and USB simultaneously (per the requirements of the connector).

To do this go to components and right click on the "Mini PCI Express Slot" component then scroll down to connections ->BoardUsb->new->Atom->USB30.

However, this uncovered another issue that the MiniPciExpress devices requires something to be added after (like a USB mouse) to function. To work around this issue Go to Components -> Input Devices  then  Drag and drop "USB Mouse" on top of the "Mini PCI Express Slot"

This bug will be fixed in the next release.

0 Kudos
Vamsi_Reddy_C_
Beginner

Hi Laurie,

Thank you for the reply. 

I can now connect the Mini PCIe slot to only one PCIE root port and can able to generate the BIOS Firmware, thank you again for the solution.

I want to connect Mini PCIE slots to all the available root ports (PCIE3, PCIE1 and PCIE 0) as well. Since the USB30 is being used by PCIE3 port, I can't use it for other PCIE root ports (0 and 1). I want to know which is the best way to connect the Mini PCIE slots to all the available root ports to successfully generate the BIOS firmware using the Firmware Engine. I tried connecting the Mini PCIe slots to root ports (0 and 1), but the firmware engine fails to generate the BIOS firmware.  

I tried few ways to overcome the firmware engine error I see when I connect the Mini PCIE slots to the ports (0 and 1) as well. 

I could able to generate the BIOS when I use the device collection block to USB30 and then map it to the PCIE3, PCIE1, and PCIE0 ports. I am not 100% sure, whether it is the best way, please see the screenshot attachment.    

Note: I will be using only one PCIe slot at a time. So I used the device collection block.

I am using the generated firmware to flash the Minnowboard, unfortunately, the board doesn't boot as expected, any suggestions, please.  

My board has 1.8V flash (Winbond - W25Q64FW) instead of 3.3V flash (W25Q64FV). The firmware engine has FW family support, but the firmware generated by the firmware engine doesn't boot the board, I saw the bootup logs, it looks like the manufacturer ID is the issue, it looks for an ID and it doesn't match, so the board stops booting up successfully. 

Any ideas or suggestions are very helpful,  thanks. 

Thanks

Vamsi

0 Kudos