Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

How to use VTune with ssh public key?

Sunwoo_L_
Beginner

Hello.

My system forces users to use public key to access to not only the host system but also its coprocessors. I just want to collect some performance data from the Xeon Phi. (My application works in native mode.) So I ran the VTune tool with a command like the below.

amplxe-cl -collect knc-lightweight-hotspots -result-dir ./analysis -target-system=mic-native -- ssh -i ~/.ssh/id_rsa_phi root@mic0 "application.out" 

But I just got the permission denied errors.

amplxe: Error: Permission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive).
amplxe: Error: Amplifier cannot detect Intel Xeon Phi coprocessor configuration.

Is anyone familiar with this kind of permission issues? How am I supposed to run the VTune in command line mode at the system which forces secure connection?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Sumedh_N_Intel
Employee

I believe that the analyzer uses the default key (id_rsa) when it tries to connect to the coprocessor. Is there a reason why you have a separate RSA key for the coprocessor? Would it be possible to use the default key in your case? 

Also, your command line is incorrect. When you specify the target system as mic-native, you no longer need to explicitly ssh to the coprocessor. The correct command line would be: 

amplxe-cl -c advanced-hotspots -target-system=mic-native -result-dir ./analysis -- <path-to-app-on-coprocessor>/application.out

I hope this helps. 

0 Kudos
Sunwoo_L_
Beginner

Thank you, Sumedh Naik. 

I will ask the system administrator about using the default key. Also I figured out that the command line was incorrect right after I wrote the question. Thank you again.

0 Kudos
Dmitry_P_Intel1
Employee

Just in case - if you still need to run ssh manually from the host by some reason to profile on mic then you can use the following syntax:

>amplxe-cl -collect advanced-hotspots -result-dir ./analysis -target-system=mic-host-launch -- ssh -i ~/.ssh/id_rsa_phi root@mic0:/my_dir/application.out

But in this case you will need to point search directories on the host for VTune for the modules of interest to have them resolved adding -search-dir my_dir_on_the_host_where_target_binaries_reside

Thanks & Regards, Dmitry

0 Kudos