Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Integration intel realsense sdk to c# application

brajesh_s_
Beginner

I am wondering if it is possible to deploy the project on multiple machines without installing SDK on every PC.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
brajesh_s_
Beginner

I have made a c# application, which is using intel RealSense SDK in development enviornment and it is running fine in Visual Studio 2012. But, when I tried to install/deploy the c# window's application on other machine having only DCM (not installed Intel RealSence SDK) then application gets installed but not run on it.

Please suggest.

0 Kudos
RBang
New Contributor II

brajesh s. wrote:

I have made a c# application, which is using intel RealSense SDK in development enviornment and it is running fine in Visual Studio 2012. But, when I tried to install/deploy the c# window's application on other machine having only DCM (not installed Intel RealSence SDK) then application gets installed but not run on it.

Please suggest.

Hi Brajesh,

For each device that you install your C# application on, you will have to install the necessary drivers and SDK for RealSense, because how else would the device know or rather be able to run an application for an external/internal device (RealSense camera) it does not recognize.

Hope this answers your query.

0 Kudos
jb455
Valued Contributor II

You don't have to have the SDK on each machine, but you will need the correct version of the Runtime (the same version as the SDK you created the app on). Intel recommends bundling the SDK installer with your C# app installer to be sure everyone who wants to use your app has what they need but it is a bit awkward getting the combined installer working! Let me know if you need any hints with that.

0 Kudos
brajesh_s_
Beginner

Hi James,

Thanks for your response. Yes I need to know to about the hints, you have mentioned.

"Intel recommends bundling the SDK installer with your C# app installer to be sure everyone who wants to use your app has what they need"

Please tell me about the bundling the SDK installer with my C# app installer.

Regards,

Brajesh K Sharma.

0 Kudos
jb455
Valued Contributor II

I meant to say "bundling the Runtime installer", not SDK. Here's how you do that:

First you'll need to download the Runtime installer from here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-realsense-sdk/download. If you don't mind using the online installer (ie, you're sure that your users will have decent access to the internet whilst installing your app), you can use that; otherwise choose offline. Also, if you built your app using an older version of the SDK go to 'previous versions' and get the file that matches the SDK version you're using.

If you chose the offline installer route, and you want to limit the file size, you can run through case 2 here: https://software.intel.com/sites/landingpage/realsense/camera-sdk/v1.1/documentation/html/index.html?doc_deploy_installing_sdk_runtimes.html to only include the modules your app needs in the installer. Create a self-extracting zip to package all the resultant files, which runs the setup.exe with the required switches (as in readme_cmd.txt).

Now you need to use an app to bundle your app's .msi (I used the Visual Studio Installer Projects extension but others will probably be fine) and the the self extracting zip you created for the runtime (or full or offline installers if you skipped that step - check the command line options for silent installation etc) into a single installer. (I used Xeam Visual Installer but again you may find something more suited to you).

And there you have it! It took me quite a while to work all this out as the docs from Intel don't help much, and there may be better ways of going about it, but this works. Good luck!

0 Kudos
RBang
New Contributor II

James B. wrote:

I meant to say "bundling the Runtime installer", not SDK. Here's how you do that:

First you'll need to download the Runtime installer from here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-realsense-sdk/download. If you don't mind using the online installer (ie, you're sure that your users will have decent access to the internet whilst installing your app), you can use that; otherwise choose offline. Also, if you built your app using an older version of the SDK go to 'previous versions' and get the file that matches the SDK version you're using.

If you chose the offline installer route, and you want to limit the file size, you can run through case 2 here: https://software.intel.com/sites/landingpage/realsense/camera-sdk/v1.1/d... to only include the modules your app needs in the installer. Create a self-extracting zip to package all the resultant files, which runs the setup.exe with the required switches (as in readme_cmd.txt).

Now you need to use an app to bundle your app's .msi (I used the Visual Studio Installer Projects extension but others will probably be fine) and the the self extracting zip you created for the runtime (or full or offline installers if you skipped that step - check the command line options for silent installation etc) into a single installer. (I used Xeam Visual Installer but again you may find something more suited to you).

And there you have it! It took me quite a while to work all this out as the docs from Intel don't help much, and there may be better ways of going about it, but this works. Good luck!

Thanks for this James, I did not know about this. Definitely seems far better than to expect end users to install the entire SDK to run your application. However I came across your forum post regarding problems with package the RealSense runtime (2016R1). Were you able to finally package it? And what about 2016R2?

0 Kudos
jb455
Valued Contributor II

Yes, the way I solved my previous problem was to use Xeam Visual Installer to bundle the two installers together.

I haven't tried it with 2016R2 as it didn't seem to improve any of the features we're using, and actually reduced functionality of some things! I'd imagine it would be the same though.

0 Kudos