Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Intel GMA utility: Dual monitor extended desktop option lost

atuls6
Beginner

I have two monitors running different native resolutions connected to my integrated 945SZ graphics chipset, one on DVI port, and other on VGA.

Looks like my computer auto-upgraded to 7.15.10.1537 with Vista SP1 and the new GMA utility doesn't give me the option to extend my desktop to the second monitor.

All I see is the 'Dual Display Clone' option in the operating mode drop down, which only allows me to clone the desktop at the lesser resolution between my two monitors.

How do I get back the ability to use multiple monitors with the extended display option? This appears to have regressed with the latest drivers.

UPDATE: I tried various drivers dating back to April this year, no dice. The GMA configuration utility in all the drivers doesn't have the multiple monitors with 'Extend desktop' option. All I see in the Windows Vista display settings dialog is one monitor. Any help will be appreciated.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Gina_B_Intel
Employee

Hello atuls6,

Please enter your error at our Intel Hardware Support website. Someone will then get back to you with a response.

-Gina

0 Kudos
delacy__david
Beginner

that chipset is a single device chipset in order to support extended desktop you need a dual device dual function chip.

it should never show extended desktop and never a twin setting either

0 Kudos
ottomek
Beginner
Quoting - beerandcandy

that chipset is a single device chipset in order to support extended desktop you need a dual device dual function chip.

it should never show extended desktop and never a twin setting either

I am having this same issue and cannot get 'show extended desktop' option with my 2 monitors, how do we find a chipset that is dual device dual function?

I have a Shuttle K48 with Intel GMA950 and using 82945G Express Chipset with current version 6.14.10.4926.

Which chipset allows for 'extended desktop'.
thanks in advance.
John
0 Kudos
delacy__david
Beginner
Quoting - ottomek

I am having this same issue and cannot get 'show extended desktop' option with my 2 monitors, how do we find a chipset that is dual device dual function?

I have a Shuttle K48 with Intel GMA950 and using 82945G Express Chipset with current version 6.14.10.4926.

Which chipset allows for 'extended desktop'.
thanks in advance.
John

a 945G chipset should show 2 devices and extended desktop
a 945GZ or something with a z in the name should not
0 Kudos
ottomek
Beginner
Quoting - beerandcandy

a 945G chipset should show 2 devices and extended desktop
a 945GZ or something with a z in the name should not

thanks, I have the 945G. Any thoughts on how can I get this fixed or what to install/reinstall? With 2 monitors hooked up I just don't have the 'extend desktop' option available to me.

attempting to show a screen shot here:

no_extended_desktop.jpg

0 Kudos
delacy__david
Beginner
Quoting - ottomek

thanks, I have the 945G. Any thoughts on how can I get this fixed or what to install/reinstall? With 2 monitors hooked up I just don't have the 'extend desktop' option available to me.

attempting to show a screen shot here:

no_extended_desktop.jpg

i couldnt view the snap shot
0 Kudos
ottomek
Beginner
Quoting - beerandcandy

i couldnt view the snap shot

ok let me try again, image is at url below:

http://www.pac-king.net/k48/no_extended_desktop.jpg
0 Kudos
ottomek
Beginner
I am using XP pro got a reply from manufacturer and they say it's a XP driver limitation:

-----
The hardware, does, indeed support dual monitors. The limiting factor is the operating system drivers.

If you are using Windows Vista, you will be able to Clone and Extend Monitors.

If using Windows XP, you will only be able to clone. This appears to be a limitation of the Drivers in XP because Vista allows for Extending and Cloning as its been tested here.
-----

I don't see anything about this on the Intel Driver page for the 945G or 82945G Express Chipset.
Are there any other chipsets or tweaks that anyone can think of that would allow for 'Extended Desktop'

thanks,
John
0 Kudos
delacy__david
Beginner
Quoting - ottomek

ok let me try again, image is at url below:

http://www.pac-king.net/k48/no_extended_desktop.jpg

so in the device manager does it show two graphics devices or one?
this looks like what a GZ should show
0 Kudos
delacy__david
Beginner
Quoting - beerandcandy

so in the device manager does it show two graphics devices or one?
this looks like what a GZ should show

oh one thing to try is use the os property page to set extended desktop
if you right click on the desktop and click properties then click on the settings tab you should see a couple of monitors click on the one on the right and try to turn it on with the check box and try to check the extend my desktop to this monitor option. the other thing to try is try to switch which monitor is the primary monitor around using the property page and see if you can then extend it
0 Kudos
ottomek
Beginner
Quoting - beerandcandy

oh one thing to try is use the os property page to set extended desktop
if you right click on the desktop and click properties then click on the settings tab you should see a couple of monitors click on the one on the right and try to turn it on with the check box and try to check the extend my desktop to this monitor option. the other thing to try is try to switch which monitor is the primary monitor around using the property page and see if you can then extend it
yeah that is usually how I'd do it but it doesn't recognize or show 2 monitors on the settings page.

here is a screenshot:
http://www.pac-king.net/k48/settings_no_dual_monitors.jpg

Also tried switching which monitor was primary and going to properties and settings there but no go.
Manufacturer says it works with Vista and Vista drivers it just conflict with XP drivers and motherboard/onboard VGA.

Wish I could find another driver to try that might just work but I don't know where to start.

0 Kudos
delacy__david
Beginner

how many does it show in the device manager?
0 Kudos
ottomek
Beginner
well I can't get XP to work with dual monitors and extend desktop with the 82945G Express Chipset but I can get Vista and Beta 7 to work. The only trick was I couldn't use the latest driver for 82945G I had to go one back. So I'm real happy now that 2 monitors are back, a bit bummed that I can't use XP but I need to move on to another OS sometime :)

beerandcandy, thanks for all your replies and help.
0 Kudos
allenz
Beginner

Hey Guys,
Thnaks for sharing the info.and support............... :)
0 Kudos
thejimmer
Beginner
Quoting - ottomek
I am using XP pro got a reply from manufacturer and they say it's a XP driver limitation:

-----
The hardware, does, indeed support dual monitors. The limiting factor is the operating system drivers.

If you are using Windows Vista, you will be able to Clone and Extend Monitors.

If using Windows XP, you will only be able to clone. This appears to be a limitation of the Drivers in XP because Vista allows for Extending and Cloning as its been tested here.
-----

I don't see anything about this on the Intel Driver page for the 945G or 82945G Express Chipset.
Are there any other chipsets or tweaks that anyone can think of that would allow for 'Extended Desktop'

thanks,
John

For me, I would call this more of a Dell limitation than an XP Pro limitation. The system requirements in this article:http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/intel945gm/sb/CS-022119.htm say that "dual pipe" needs to be enabled by the manufacturer.

Although I don't have the 945GM set, just the 945G,I've also noticed that I cannot obtain the latest driver update for my chipset, which is somewhere in the 14.0s by now, and that I'm limited by Dell to a driver somewhere in the 6.0s.

Any ideas on where to go from here?
0 Kudos
cdwhite6004
Beginner
Quoting beerandcandy

how many does it show in the device manager?

I have a Dell computer with Vista. When I try and go into the screen resolution and hit the detect button it shows up as no additional monitors. I tried right clicking on the desktop > graphic properties > Display > Multiple Monitors > but in the operating mode drop down it only gives the option for the single display.... How do I get it to recognize another monitor. I am trying to connect to a TV via HDMI cable. Any suggestions?
0 Kudos