Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Intel(R) Xeon Phi(tm) Coprocessor -- Cluster training - call for demand!

BelindaLiviero
Employee

Intel is evaluating to offer a 4 hour web-based basic tutorial covering the fundamental principles of how to integrate an Intel Xeon Phi coprocessor into a Linux based cluster.

During the course each attendant would have remote access to a Linux server and be able to do each step as shown in the outline below.  The course will be given free of charge. Requirements are an Internet connection, a web browser, and Putty.   We are settling on the sharing technology we will be using, and will publish that at a later date.

If you are interested in such an offer please reply to this forum thread -- you have the ability to reply privately, if you don't want to be identified.

If we have enough interest, we'll pull it together!

Topics:

• Finding information on Intel Xeon Phi coprocessor on the web
  • Download the driver software
  • Unpacking the driver software package, explanation of components
  • Discussion on prerequisites of the compute server (for instance what software needs to be installed, reserved IP addresses, user names, network file systems)
  • Basic concepts (host, host OS, host kernel, coprocessor, Intel(R) MPSS stack, layout of files, boot image of the uOS, ramfs of the uOS)
  • Recompiling HOST kernel packages; diagnose output  and understand errors (necessary to work with nonstandard kernels)
  • Install a minimal set of MPSS rpm packages using rpm
  • Create a default MPSS configuration (using “micctrl --initdefaults “)
  • Startup (aka boot) the coprocessor
  • Connect via minicom to the coprocessor (this allows one to connect to the Intel Xeon Phi coprocessor WITHOUT figuring out network problems)
  • modify uOS filesystem by overlaying an /etc/passwd file; reboot the coprocessor
  • Create a bridgded network on the host
  • Configure the coprocessor for bridged networking by modifying micX.conf  directly
  • Reboot card and connect via ssh
  • Set up a ssh key-pair; diagnose ssh gotchas
  • Mount a NFS file system on the coprocessor
  • Configure a user known in the cluster by modifying the /etc/passwd file of the coprocessor
  • Group up with neighbor – run MPI benchmark natively over Ethernet
  • Recompile the MPSS OFED package to support a nonstandard kernel on the HOST
  • Install MPSS-OFED rpms
  • Start OFED on the coprocessor
  • Group up with neighbor – run MPI benchmark natively over InfiniBand
  • Create a minimal startup script wrapping everything up; this startup script can be used by a batch scheduling system to restart a coprocessor on behalf of a user before running a job.
  • Where to find more resources or ask questions

In future (advanced) courses we might want to talk about topics like:

• Change micX.conf configuration to adopt to diskless clients
  • The tools (micinfo, micrasd, ….)
  • Logging – syslog, sar (how to enable logging, typical output and problems to look out for)
  • cron: maintenance  log rotation,  detect issues like missing daemons, problems
  • Adding more programs/libraries/files to the coprocessors (including pros and cons)
  • Troubleshooting startups/shutdowns
  • Upgrading the MPSS stack on an established installation
  • Diagnose system and coprocessor health
  • Customizing installation scripts
0 Kudos
41 Replies
Vadim_Karpusenko
Beginner

This sounds very interesting. Please, count me in.

Vadim Karpusenko <vadim@colfax-intl.com>

0 Kudos
Gethin_W_
Beginner

Yes, thanks.  I'm interested.

0 Kudos
yectli_h_
Beginner
I'm also interested. thanks
0 Kudos
Vishal1
Beginner

I'm very interested.

0 Kudos
Vitaly_V__K_
Beginner

I'm interested.

0 Kudos
Ole_Saastad
Beginner

Yes, please. I'm interested.

0 Kudos
Girish_Nair
Beginner

Oh boy. That would be a dream come true. Very excited. A big YES.

0 Kudos
drMikeT
New Contributor I

I would be interested ...

Michael

0 Kudos
Tod_M_Intel
Employee

Very interested, thanks!

Tod

0 Kudos
Giorgis_G_
Beginner

Count me in. Very interested.

Giorgis

0 Kudos
Carlos_Alexandre_T_

I am extremely interested! Thanks!

0 Kudos
BelindaLiviero
Employee

Thank you for registering your interest -- we are still planning on this - the timing of the sessions is likely to start in ~May.

One question I must ask is somewhat logistical:   the best 'webinar' tool that we have used at Intel in the past is one that supports access from Microsoft* Windows, iOS, or Android clients but not Linux  (more here: http://support.citrixonline.com/webinar/all_files/G2W010003 )

Will this be a big problem for you folks?   Do all of you have one of the supported types of systems from which you can connect?

0 Kudos
VIKRANT_G_
Beginner

I am interested in this

0 Kudos
Georg_G_
Beginner

I'm very interested attending this course.

Georg

0 Kudos
ekiefner
Beginner

Yes, I am very interested too to join this Web training about INtel MIC and Linux Cluster.

Erhard

0 Kudos
BelindaLiviero
Employee

All,

You are receiving this message if you’ve indicated to us in the past that you’d be interested in training on cluster administration with large installations of Intel® Xeon Phi™ Coprocessors.  

Starting this May, Intel will lead 4-hour webinars, with some hands-on exercises, on Basic Cluster administration with  Intel Xeon Phi Coprocessors.

There is an 18 person limit on webinar attendance because it is hands-on.   Attendees who register will receive notification within a few days to confirm registration.

Where and When:   Three webinar sessions are available now, and more will be scheduled throughout the summer depending on demand.   

Monday, May 12, 2014 5:00 PM - 9:00 PM PDT       Register at:  https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/909192649  (very limited seating)

Wednesday, May 14 5:00 PM – 9:00 PM PDT          Register at: https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/822739432

Wednesday, May 21 8:00 AM – 12:00 PM PDT       Register at: https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/899481456

Agenda: In this course led by an instructor the attendants will learn how to integrate Xeon Phi coprocessors into a cluster. The session will include:

• Discussion on prerequisites of the compute server (for instance what software needs to be installed, reserved IP addresses, user names, network file systems)
  • Unpacking the driver software package, explanation of components
  • Basic concepts (host, host OS, host kernel, coprocessor, MPSS stack, layout of MPSS files, boot image of the uOS, ramfs of the uOS)
  • Recompiling HOST kernel packages; diagnose output  and understand errors (necessary to work with nonstandard kernels)
  • Install a minimal set of MPSS rpm packages using rpm
  • Create a default MPSS configuration (using “micctrl --initdefaults “)
  • Startup (aka boot) the coprocessor
  • Connect via minicom to the coprocessor (this allows one to connect to the Xeon Phi WITHOUT figuring out network problems)
  • modify uOS filesystem by overlaying an /etc/passwd file
  • Create a bridgded network on the host
  • Configure the coprocessor for bridged networking by modifying micX.conf  directly
  • Reboot card and connect via ssh
  • Set up a ssh key-pair; diagnose ssh gotchas
  • Mount a NFS file system on the coprocessor
  • Configure a user known in the cluster by modifying the /etc/passwd file of the coprocessor
  • Group up with neighbor – run MPI benchmark natively over Ethernet
  • Recompile the MPSS OFED package to support a nonstandard kernel on the HOST
  • Install MPSS-OFED rpms
  • Start OFED on the coprocessor
  • Group up with neighbor – run MPI benchmark natively over InfiniBand
  • Create a minimal startup script wrapping everything up; this startup script can be used by a batch scheduling system to restart a coprocessor on behalf of a user before running a job.
  • Where to find more resources or ask questions

Each attendant will connect via ssh to a cluster, and be able to run all necessary commands alongside the presentation.

0 Kudos
BelindaLiviero
Employee

space is still available on the May 14 webinar -- otherwise most other dates are full!

Please let us know if more sessions are needed

0 Kudos
ashish_s_
Beginner

I joined this forum some days back. I want to attend Intel Phi cluster trainings again. Can you share presentation of those webinars or provide information on any scheduled training on the same in future?

Thanks,

Ashish K Singh

0 Kudos
Alfonso_P_
Beginner

I' am interested for the slides/presentation too.

0 Kudos
TaylorIoTKidd
New Contributor I

We have plans for more training but no definite dates.

I'll forward your requests on.

Regards
---
Taylor

0 Kudos