Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Intel® RealSense™ SDK For Android

Sitaram_S_
Beginner

Hi,

We are planning to build the application with Intel RealSense Android SDK . Could anybody know please confirm if Intel RealSense SDK available for android.

Looking for your response .

Thanks in Advance,
Sitaram Sharma

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

The RealSense SDK is coming for Android and will apparently be a separate SDK from the Windows one.

The Intel developer support staffer on this forum called Colleen Culbertson published a RealSense article about the R200 camera on May 15 2015 that stated at the top of it that "an Android v5 SDK is likely to be released later this year."

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/realsense-r200-camera

As far as I know, a release date for the Android version of the SDK has not yet been announced.  Intel have recently shown a new smaller version of the R200 camera though that fits into a smartphone casing.

Edit: here's a link to a news article from the start of June about Intel showing its reference design for a RealSense smartphone that they call the Yellows II, running on Android 5.0.1

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/intel-realsense-3d-camera-smartphone-reference-design/

0 Kudos
Manfred_S_1
Beginner

No news on this for nearly half a year as far as i can see. Does anyone have any information regarding this development?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Hi Manfred, the Android-based Smartphone Developer Kit - is now available for reservations to be placed in the Intel online store and costs $399.  It is a smartphone with a type of camera in it called a ZR-300. At present it will only be shipped to US addresses though.  Given the number of countries the other cameras can be delivered to, hopefully this limitation will change when the kit is on sale.

http://click.intel.com/intelrealsensesmartphone-developer-kit.html

http://www.techspot.com/news/63396-intel-realsense-smartphone-developer-kit-now-available-pre.html

0 Kudos
DKryd
Beginner

I think the android development may be held up a bit because Intel seems to want to time release along with the project tango device [smartphone]. I view it as putting two smaller cans of worms [android & project tango] into one larger size can. But, yeah, if they still want to release the device this summer the window for getting the dev kits out and then stuff developed is certainly getting very small. not such a kind action towards developers i think.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

There is definitely a strong appetite among developers for the cameras, which is evident from the number of comments on this forum about the cameras being out of stock when devs want to purchase their first one or additional ones.  According to Intel, there is a high demand for them.

Douglas, your comments are very relevant given the public discussion this week about how Nintendo's small supply of dev kits for their new NX console may affect the number of games available at launch if they plan to launch it this year, since it can take a year to learn a new system properly and develop a title.  So they would be reliant on first-party in house Nintendo titles and releases from the giant publishers for the first year after launch -much like with their previous home console the Wii U.

RealSense applications at least have the advantage that they can be produced faster than handheld game machine titles (project time of mobile titles is probably similar to those of RealSense apps).  But yes, it's true that bigger titles can be affected by delays in the release of new iterations of the technology and the improvements that they bring.  My own company's RealSense-powered game has been in development full time since mid 2014, and a lot of that development time has been due to prototyping new ways to push the F200 camera's capabilities to the max (which get published as guides on this forum) and also work out ways to overcome limitations. 

I'm impressed with how well my F200 has coped with long hours of use 7 days a week for the last 17 months.  Two thumbs up for durability!  :)

0 Kudos