Software Archive
Read-only legacy content

Intel XDK Next release

Nick_d_
Beginner

Hi all, just want to check in and see if there is a new release of XDK in the works as there hasn't been a release in months (last version v3897) and usually releases are a month apart, roughly. I'd just like to know if you're working on another version and what we can expect to see in that version. Not asking when it will be released as I know you can't commit to that, just would be nice to know what you';re working on, like a roadmap view possibly - please :)

0 Kudos
6 Replies
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Sorry, but I'm not able to answer your question at this time. I'm hoping to be able to provide some clarity shortly.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Nick -- there will be no more releases of the XDK, development of the product has been discontinued. See the updated announcement page on this forum for some links to alternate tools and other helpful links.

0 Kudos
Nick_d_
Beginner

Hi all,

That seriously sucks but thanks for letting me know! I thought you guys were re-scoping it to be used to build IoT apps? Is that not happening anymore either?

I can't find the announcement - please send me a link :)

As a long-standing, massive fan of XDK, I must say I am sorry to learn of the discontinuation - XDK was the only tool out there that worked for me. The rest all really do suck in comparison! I really wish you guys would continue it (just for the record)! :-)

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Our IoT work continues, but not in the XDK.

We have been working with Arduino to enhance their Arduino Create offerings for IoT on Intel (which was announced about two weeks ago) and we already have an IoT development product known as Intel System Studio, which continues to evolve.

At this time we don't have any tools to offer for Node.js JavaScript IoT app development, that combination was unique to the XDK. For now, our IoT development support concentrates primarily on C/C++ application development. Additional info regarding the retirement of the XDK should be showing up soon on the xdk.intel.com home page.

0 Kudos
Cesar_M_2
Beginner

I am with Nick!

Intel XDK was an amazing tool and I am so sad to see it discontinued. I understand that the cloud compilation could have a cost that Intel wouldn't want to bear, but the rest of the application, how it integrated the whole chain, was just a blessing!

If you are stopping the development because you do not see a business in mobile app development, I get it, but please do the right thing and open source the project... It will live on, I am sure of it.

But discontinuing a project like that and not opening it to let it live outside is a very bad move from your side... Now even the download link is missing...

I'm really sad/frustrated by this...

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Please see the release notes for an answer to the open source question > https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/docs/release-notes-information-intel-xdk <

0 Kudos