Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Intel XDK iPad Targetting

hsdk_k_
Beginner

Hi,

I originally asked this back in the old forums about a year ago - but is it now currently possible to change build settings in XDK so that the app compiles solely for ipad (and not ipad + iphone)? If in the case the app is complied as an ipad+iphone app, putting it up on the store becomes impossible for an ipad app as you also need to put up images of the app running on the iphone.

How is the current status on this?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Anusha_M_Intel1
Employee

As of now, it is not possible to build only for iPad in Intel XDK.

0 Kudos
hsdk_k_
Beginner

Hi Anusha,

Are there any plans in the near future to support the feature? This directly limits the kinds of apps that can be built with Intel XDK - if I could at least directly change the pfile settings (as with cordova build) then I could make it so that it packs up as an ipad app. 

0 Kudos
Amrita_C_Intel
Employee

Sure! I will pass your feedback to the engineering team. Thanks for the support,

0 Kudos
hsdk_k_
Beginner

Hi, I felt that this would be a relatively easy update (pretty much just 1 addition of a checkbox in the XDK and some build setting changes), but I noticed that this wasn't included in the May update. Is this in schedule for the June update? This is a small, but really crucial feature

0 Kudos
Leon_B_1
Beginner

I have the reverse issue

I build the iOS app. The iPhone version is OK, the iPad version becomes "small", and the Apple guys are rejecting and refusing to publish my app because god-knows-why...

So it would be nice of I could choose iPhone only, cause in this particular app, I don't care about iPad

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

It turns out there is an undocumented feature in Cordova that should help you (the Cordova project made this addition but failed to document it for the rest of the world). If you use the appropriate preference in the additions.xml file you should get what you need:

<preference name="target-device" value="tablet" />     <!-- Installs on iPad, not on iPhone -->
<preference name="target-device" value="handset" />    <!-- Installs on iPhone, iPad installs in a zoomed view and doesn’t fill the entire screen -->
<preference name="target-device" value="universal" />  <!-- Installs on iPhone and iPad correctly -->

If you need info regarding the additions.xml file, see the blank template or this doc file: https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/docs/adding-special-build-options-to-your-xdk-cordova-app-with-the-intelxdk-config-additions-xml-file

0 Kudos
Mohamed_Ali_B_

Hello , I want to change the configuration for android to install .apk just in tablets.
0 Kudos
Amrita_C_Intel
Employee

Hello Mohamed,

You need to start different thread for this question. But you don't need to change configuration if you wish to install on tablet.

0 Kudos
Amrita_C_Intel
Employee

Hello Mohamed,

There is no definite way to that for Android. But you can try using these splashcreens which might restrict to bigger screens. But their is no guarantee. Screen Shot 2016-03-08 at 1.59.14 PM_0.png 

For more details you can refer to this link: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/27346941/make-android-app-show-up-as-designed-for-tablets

0 Kudos
David_T_4
Beginner

I'm trying the target-device trick in 3088, but it's not working. I can see this in the build logs:

--target-device iphone --target-device ipad

I can see <preference name="target-device" value="tablet" /> being added to the intelxdk.config.ios.xml file on Build, but it seems to be ignored.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

David -- this thread was about Android targets, which is a different problem than that which you have noted (which is for iOS). This appears to be a Cordova problem (see http://community.phonegap.com/nitobi/topics/cli-6-0-0-not-honoring-target-device-for-ios), I'll alert engineering to see if there's a patch that can be applied to our build system to resolve this.

Does it work if you use CLI 5.1.1?

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

David -- just an update that I was able to test our staging server which has a patch applied that we have also submitted to the Cordova project. I expect that fix will show up in our production build system early next week.

0 Kudos
David_T_4
Beginner

Thank you.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

@David -- This fix is expected to be merged onto our build servers on Tuesday (which means it should be present by 5pm Pacific Time). Please try it late Tuesday or Wednesday to confirm that it has fixed our issue.

0 Kudos