17061 Discussions

Intel reportedly to dump Atom chip

DKryd
Beginner
0 Kudos
3 Replies
samontab
Valued Contributor II

Interesting. So MinnowBoards are out as well.

Kinda makes sense though, ARM chips are more popular in those areas. It was interesting to see how small x86 based computers could get. MinnowBoard was an amazing thing, but it seems that it is not going to be a thing anymore. ARM based chips from NVidia, Odroid, Raspberry Pi, and others seem to have won the battle. Not to mention smartphones, that's definitely ARM territory.

0 Kudos
kfind1
New Contributor I

samontab wrote:
interesting to see how small x86 based computers could get. 

The Intel Edison's SOC is the smallest x86 computer i've seen. That is extremely small. 

According to one of the guys working on/with the Minnowboard (John Hawley) the particular type of chip used on the minnowboards is the industrial variant and has a guaranteed lifespan of 7 years production and support, and they are only a few (2-3?) years into that right now. Therefore the possibility of the current versions of the Minnowboard Turbot could be produced for a few more years before becoming obsolete/supply runs out. 

If you are attempting to make a product using the minnowboard + R200 then that must be kept in mind. 

0 Kudos
samontab
Valued Contributor II

Yeah, I have an Edison as well, but being only USB2 it makes it kinda irrelevant to RealSense.

0 Kudos