Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Linux and OSX capture driver available - F200,R200,SR300 cameras

Colleen_C_Intel
Employee

https://github.com/IntelRealSense/librealsense  provides a cross-platform capture driver (Linux, OSX, Windows) for the Intel® RealSense™ F200, SR300 and R200 cameras for developers and researchers in robotics, VR, IoT, and more.Use Ubuntu 14.04.03 x64 with an updated 4.4 kernel or OSX 10.8. Windows 8.1 is also supported.Librealsense was designed to provide compatibility to the Robotic Operating System (ROS), OpenCV, The Point Cloud Library (PCL), and many other runtimes and frameworks. Core features of the library have been accelerated with SSE3 instructions, 

Currently, librealsense is an experimental API for camera capture, separate from the RealSense™ SDK,  and is supported thru github.
librealsense supports multi-camera capture with USB 3.0 bandwidth limiting throughput to roughly 8 streams of 640x480x30fps or 4 at 60fps. 

The library and all sample applications have been released under the terms of the Apache 2.0 open source license. librealsense welcomes contributions from the community to make the library available on other platforms and operating systems. 

0 Kudos
17 Replies
SMali10
New Contributor I

Thank you Colleen and the rest of the RealSense team!

Being able to access multiple cameras on a single device, and on multiple operating systems is an invaluable resource.

When working with multiple cameras, is there a way to sync the captures so they all capture the same moment in time? Or at the very least is there a common timestamp that holds true across all connected cameras?

0 Kudos
samontab
Valued Contributor II

This is excellent news!

Thanks for sharing this Colleen.

Yes Sam, captured images come with a timestamp.

0 Kudos
SMali10
New Contributor I

Thanks Samontab,

Yes each captured image comes with a timestamp. But my understanding is that the timestamp is relative to the individual camera's clock, and not the operating system's.

This is fine for timestamps on a single camera. But there would need to be a global reference in order to sync timestamps between cameras in order to tell the temporal difference between frames.

It's possible to create a sync point using audio or by pulsing the ir projector on one of the cameras. But it would be great if there is a built in solution (I'm also sure that the images using this library will be so closely aligned that it's fine for 90% of multicam applications, I'm just getting greedy).

0 Kudos
samontab
Valued Contributor II

Well, you can ask for a single frame on each camera, note the timestamps, and sync with them.

0 Kudos
Alex_X_
Beginner

Thank for your share !

When I install this on Ubuntu,I can't go with "make BACKEND=LIBUVC" ,it comes an error:

"g++: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-mssse3’".

Is there a way to solve this ? Thank you.

"

0 Kudos
Colleen_C_Intel
Employee

This forum is NOT supporting librealsense. Please file issues (or questions/discussions) at https://github.com/IntelRealSense/librealsense/issues

0 Kudos
Alex_X_
Beginner

Ok,thank you for your reminding.

0 Kudos
SMali10
New Contributor I

samontab wrote:

Well, you can ask for a single frame on each camera, note the timestamps, and sync with them.

Yes, but my understanding is that the timestamps are only relative to other frames on the same camera, not between cameras. Without some frame of reference between cameras, the individual timestamps are meaningless.

Regardless I will move this question over to GitHub. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Archit_A_
Beginner
Will these drivers be successful with other Linux Distributions (like yacto)? I would like to interface the camera with the Intel Edison board for streaming frames onto an external server running on top of a Windows machine (where I can ultimately utilize the RealSense SDK for application purposes)
0 Kudos
Hiroaki_N_
Beginner

How to use a R200 on Mac OSX.
I tried a tutorial of librealsense by xcode7.2.1
But, I received a Link error message.

----error Msseage ------
ld: library not found for -lrealsense
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
--------------------------------

What can I do next ?
Where is a librealsense.dylib ?

Thank you,

0 Kudos
samontab
Valued Contributor II

You need to set up the library path. The error is saying that the library is not found.

0 Kudos
Hiroaki_N_
Beginner

I tried again.
"c-tutorial-1-depth" was running.
Thank you,

0 Kudos
kryštof_j_
Beginner

Hey, just wanted to ask if these drivers include Speech support. I guess they don't, because there is no mention about it anywhere, but I just want to be sure.

0 Kudos
samontab
Valued Contributor II

No speech support as that part is a 3rd party library, Nuance, which is Windows only.

0 Kudos
Rich_W_
Beginner

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is a waiver to the purchase terms that only permit the use of the cameras on Windows? As far as I can tell, whilst I can run a Linux interface, I can't acquire a camera to connect to it?

0 Kudos
sahar_h_
Beginner

Does anyone know if there is a waiver to the purchase terms that only permit the use of the cameras on Windows? As far as I can tell, whilst I can run a Linux interface, I can't acquire a camera to connect to it?

0 Kudos
samontab
Valued Contributor II

Not sure what you are talking about.

You can buy a camera and use librealsense to run it on Windows/Linux/Mac, or use the RealSense SDK to run it on Windows. They are both officially provided by Intel.

0 Kudos