Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Posted Interrupt and APICv Feature Support

Prescher__Thomas
Beginner
Hi, I am working on a project where APICv and Posted Interrupts are a requirement. My question is: do recent XEON Bronze Processors support these features? We have looked at ark.intel.com and also here [1] but non of these sides provided an answer that was satisfying. I also had a look at the product brief [2] which also yielded zero results. I am wondering why Intel does not publish this information at ark.intel.com, where all the other interesting feature flags are listed. Also, it cannot be easily deduced from any cpuid information that you can find around the internet because one needs to consult the VMX capability reporting MSRs. Is there a comprehensive list which CPUs support this feature, and which don't? I have the same question regarding VMCS shadowing. Thanks [1] https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/virtualization-software-development/topic/748526 [2] https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-briefs/xeon-scalable-platform-brief.pdf
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Prescher__Thomas
Beginner
Hi the article only mentions that "the latest Intel(R) Xeon(R) processors, such as the Intel(R) Xeon(R) E5-2600 v2 Product Family" support these features. I am however interested in the newer XEON familiiy, i.e. Xeon Bronze/Silver/Gold/Platinum. Are there any information whether these processors support APICv and Posted Interrupts? Thanks
0 Kudos
Prescher__Thomas
Beginner
Hi again, I would still be interested in a concrete answer regarding this issue. Is there any comprehensive document that lists all Intel processors implementing APICv? Thanks
0 Kudos
Prescher__Thomas
Beginner
Hi, is there any update regarding my question? Thanks
0 Kudos
Prescher__Thomas
Beginner
Hi again, I would still be interested in information about which processors support APICv/Posted-Interrupts and VMCS shadowing. All the best, -Thomas
0 Kudos
Manisha_G_Intel
Employee

Does anyone know if Oracle VirtualBox has support for APICv feature?

~ Manisha

0 Kudos
CSpot
Beginner

No. I am not quite sure where the "APICv" name comes from (not Intel) but I assume you're talking to the additional APIC virtualization features added in the Haswell architecture (APIC register virtualization, posted interrupts). The catch is that only Xeon CPUs have this. So the it's of absolutely no use to the vast majority of VirtualBox users.. Whereas if you are looking forward to building up your career in IT Field, you need to have a good Cisco Certification.

0 Kudos
Soire__Jone
Beginner

Good questions good anwers, thanks!

0 Kudos
tailor__brendon
Beginner

I truly delighted in perusing your Forum. I discovered this as an instructive and fascinating Forum, so I think it is extremely helpful and learned. I might want to thank you for the exertion you have made in composing these posts, and please share you more info about Guru of apk. Thanks!

0 Kudos