Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Programmatically modifying the config.<platform>.xml files?

Geoff_B_
New Contributor I

Are you allowed to programmatically modify the config.xml files that I assume control the builds?  

I have a grunt script I use to compile all the client files, but want to have that process increment the app version codes in the config files.  Is that allowed?  Will XDK pick up those changes and use them?  Or does it regenerate that file each time you build, so if you modify it it makes no difference?  

I don't want to have to manually increment those numbers for each platform every time I want to do a new build. It's quite annoying.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Geoff_B_
New Contributor I

@Amrita, thanks.  That would be a very useful feature for my automation process.  I guess I'll just update it manually for my builds now.  Not great but I'll deal for the time being. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Amrita_C_Intel
Employee

Yes you can modify config.xml manually.

Please refer to this documentation: https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/docs/adding-special-build-options-to-your-xdk-cordova-app-with-the-intelxdk-config-additions-xml-file

0 Kudos
Geoff_B_
New Contributor I

Thanks, that's helpful.  I still don't see a way to update the version codes though.  I can add new parameters, but how do you update an existing tag in the platform specifix XML?  

0 Kudos
Amrita_C_Intel
Employee

You can go to the code view and do it manually.

0 Kudos
Geoff_B_
New Contributor I
I know that. That's not what I'm asking, did you read my question? I'm trying to take the manual step of entering the data for each platform. Our version number is based on a revision and I just want to automatically populate that from my grunt build by updating some file.
0 Kudos
Amrita_C_Intel
Employee

Using the technique described at the very bottom of the page I gave you allows you to change everything except the version string and version code  because the mechanism used doesn't allow for changing the widget tag. Yes, those files are automatically generated each time you do a build (except the ADDITIONS file). 

I will put this as a feature request for the future versions.

0 Kudos
Geoff_B_
New Contributor I

@Amrita, thanks.  That would be a very useful feature for my automation process.  I guess I'll just update it manually for my builds now.  Not great but I'll deal for the time being. 

0 Kudos