Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Reading Heart Rate

Wezley_S_
New Contributor I

Hello,

I can't find anything in the documentation or tutorials about the camera's ability to read heart rate.

How do I achieve this?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Andradige_S_Intel

The SDK doesn't have algorithms to directly  achieve this, nor in the camera.

How ever that doesn't stop any user from innovating using the camera and sdk

0 Kudos
Wezley_S_
New Contributor I

Thank you Pobudu!

As with eye tracking, I will develop my own module! Just wanted to double check and see if that was in there.

0 Kudos
Jonathan_M_Intel
Employee

We had heart rate tracking in last year's alpha SDK (I know because I wrote it!) but there wasn't sufficient developer feedback to keep it for the 2014 SDK.  It may be renewed at some point, so please keep making the request!

0 Kudos
Wezley_S_
New Contributor I

Yes!

Please have it added back! Heart rate tracking is an essential component to my application.

I'm completely lost on where I need to start with doing this.

Jonathan, can you give me on insights on how to build this component myself for the meantime?

Thank you for your input!

0 Kudos
Robert_Oschler
Beginner

@Jonathan T,

How well did the heart rate detection work?  Were you doing chromatic analysis of the skin to detect blood pulses?  If so, did it work with darker skin too?

Robert.

0 Kudos
Jonathan_M_Intel
Employee

Our solution was internally-built so I cannot get into specifics, I'm sorry.  Wish I could help more!

0 Kudos
Robert_Oschler
Beginner

Hi Jonathan T,

Sorry if you thought I was asking for proprietary info.  All I was really after was to know if it worked with the RealSense camera unassisted, or if you needed an additional sensor to detect heart rate.  In either case, I wished I'd known about it.  You would have received plenty of feedback from me.  Still would if you need early testers, if you're considering releasing it again.

Robert

0 Kudos
Wezley_S_
New Contributor I

Thank you for the information Jonathan!

Please, please, please, please, please! Bring up the idea of re-adding this feature in the next release of the RealSense SDK to your project manager.

This feature is endlessly useful and can range in anything from medical applications, to edutainment application, to even horror games.

I guess for now my application will have to go without, but I appreciate your insight on the topic.

Please bring the idea up!

Thanks!

0 Kudos