Software Archive
Read-only legacy content

Realsense SR300 camera fails to start on a specific USB port

NZafr
Novice

Hello,

I've encountered the following phenomena on two different NUCs:

Realsense SR300 camera was working fine, until at some point it stopped working on a specific USB port.

The SR300 camera is working when I connect it to a different USB port.

Other USB3 devices work fine on the same USB port on which the SR300 camera is not working (including Realsense F200 camera).

NUC's info:

* CPU: i7-5557U 3.10GHz (it's a 5th generation, and I know Intel recommends a 6th generation processor for SR300 camera, but as I said it was working fine for some time, and is still working on other USB ports. Therefore, I don't think 5th generation CPU is the problem).

* BIOS: RYBDWi35.86A.0355

SR300 camera info:

* Driver: intel_rs_dcm_sr300_3.0.24.59748

* SDK: intel_rs_sdk_offline_package_r6_8.0.24.6528

Investigating the issue, I've discovered the following:

When connecting the SR300 to the USB port that works, 3 imaging devices are shown in the device manager: Depth, RGB and Virtual driver.

When connecting the SR300 to the USB port that doesn't work, only 2 imaging devices are shown in the device manager: Depth and RGB.

Below is a snapshot of my device manager when the SR300 is connected to the working USB port, with the virtual driver is marked in the red rectangle, and a snapshot of the device manager when the SR300 is connected to the faulty USB port (you can clearly see that the virtual driver is missing).

Seems like the virtual driver fails to start for the faulty USB port.

On the working USB port:

Imaging drivers good.PNG

On the non-working USB port:

Imaging drivers not good.PNG

Eventually I discovered that the issue can be bypassed by doing the following:

In "Connected Device Settings", I uninstalled the SR300.

Then I disconnected and reconnected it to the USB port.

Since I uninstalled the SR300, Windows is reinstalling it.

After that, the SR300 is working again.

Having said that, my solution is just a bypass.

It does not explain, why the SR300 stopped working on that specific USB port in the first place.

This solution also doesn't guarantee that this problem will not happen again.

Therefore, I would appreciate if someone from Intel can look into this issue and advise.

Thanks,

Noam.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Jan_Rüegg
Beginner

Very helpful, thanks... uninstalling stuff from the device manager and replugging the camera worked for me, too...

0 Kudos
NZafr
Novice

Hi Jan,

Thank you for sharing that you also encountered this issue.

Can you share which CPU are you using? I wonder if it happens to you on a 6th generation processor.

Thanks, Noam.

0 Kudos
Chansu_K_
Beginner

When you uninstalled the SR300, are you saying uninstalled SDK and DCM??

I don't have Virtual Driver showing on device manager. Only depth and RGB.

When I run the SDK sample browser, only laptop camera is detected.

In SDK Sample browser-Tools-Camera explorer, it is saying that both Intel realsense 3D camera (front) and (long rage) is not connected. Is it because I don't have virtual driver showing on device manager?

Please help me..

Processor: core i5 4th generation

0 Kudos
NZafr
Novice

Hello Chansu,

First of all I would like to start with a disclaimer that I am not working for Intel.
I am just a RealSense user, like you are.
So my answer is not an official solution.

With regard to your question, I am not entirely sure what problem you are experiencing with your SR300.
When we are working with the SR300, from time to time, it gets stuck.
The solution for that is to go to "Connected Device Settings" - if the SR300 is connected to your PC, you will see it in the device list.
Click on it, and then click on "Remove Device".
After the SR300 is removed, restart your PC, or simply physically disconnect and connect the SR300 USB.
Since you removed your device, the SR300 will reinstall itself, and should work.
No need to reinstall the DCM and SDK.

Having said that, keep in mind that Intel says that the SR300 works on 6th generation CPUs, and you are working on a 4th generation (I am working on a 5th generation).
Whether that is the root cause of the problem or not, I don't know (personally I don't think so), but just take that into consideration.

Hope it helps,
Noam.

0 Kudos
Chansu_K_
Beginner

it is still not detecting the camera.

It shows the device is connected in device setting, and it does re install the sr300 automatically.

But when I turn ON the SDK sample, it says not connected in camera explorer... I don't know what to do.. :(

Thank you for the help tho !

0 Kudos
NZafr
Novice

I am not sure, but I would do the following:

1) Make sure your camera is connected to USB3 (and not USB2).

2) Check that your Intel drivers are up to date (there's a free Intel utility that checks if your drivers are up to date: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html?iid=dc_iduu)

3) Uninstall and then reinstall SDK and DCM.

0 Kudos
Eric_J_
Beginner

I just recently encountered the same situation after having the camera running successfully for a couple of months. Swapping ports was sufficient to get the Virtual Driver to show up again.

0 Kudos
Eric_J_
Beginner

Definitely still an issue. No idea yet what triggers it, but every couple of weeks Windows will sit at the login screen trying to start the camera. Eventually I'll have to use my PIN / password to login. Open Device Manager and the Virtual Driver is missing. Swapping to a new USB port appears to cause it to add the correct driver back in. 

0 Kudos
NZafr
Novice

Hi Eric,

Thank you for sharing this info.

We are also still experiencing this issue with our SR300 cameras, and have no other choice than bypassing it by restarting the PC, removing the camera driver and so on.

No doubt it is very uncomfortable (especially if it happens when you are trying to demo your system to a client).

Hopefully someone from Intel will comment here and shed some light on this issue.

Noam.

0 Kudos
Eric_J_
Beginner

Thanks for the update Noam. Not sure if it's related, but when it's acting up like this it also seems to prevent the computer from going to sleep automatically though Windows doesn't identify anything is keeping it awake. Out of curiosity, are you using a USB extension cable with your camera?

0 Kudos
NZafr
Novice

Hi Eric,

We are not using a USB extension cable, only the USB cable provided with the camera.

With regard to your comment about your PC unable to go into sleep mode, take a look at RSSDK SetState function.
You can set the state of your camera to one of two possible states:

STATE_PERFORMANCE The performance mode uses as much resources as
available for best user experience.
STATE_BATTERY The battery mode reduces resources usage as needed to
save the platform level power requirements.

I found that when I set it to STATE_PERFORMANCE my PC doesn't go to sleep (which is what I wanted).
Perhaps you can try setting your state to STATE_BATTERY.

Hope it helps,
Noam.

0 Kudos
GMorg3
Novice

I am having an issue trying to get the VF0810 Gen 2 cam working on my Asus Z170-Deluxe motherboard. All of the ports are 3.1 USB Boost. When I plug in the cam, it is detected fine. The 2D part of the cam and mic work fine with Skype, Camera... I have downloaded the latest Creative drivers, and updated my firmware. When I try to use the 3D portion setting up Windows Hello, the cam constantly disconnects and reconnects. I know it works, as I tried it on our daughters laptop using a 5th gen processor.

There was an issue with the Anniversary Update, but Intel released an updated 3.3 DCM. But they did not release an updated RGB and Virtual Port driver. Both still have versions dating back to June. Before Gen 2 was released.  

I even tried installing a USB 3.0 PCIx card. No luck there. I am running Windows 10 Build 14393.351 AU. Our daughter is running the Redstone 2 Build 14955.10000

Any suggestions people? Could it be an issue with Asus' USB 3.1 ports? Which are ASMedia.

Thanks.

0 Kudos