Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Self Installing Kit

akg23693
Beginner
I had a application developed using the Visual Fortran Compiler (Rev 5.0) for NT 4.0 Windows machine. I am looking to package the application such that it becomes a self installing utility on a target system. I could not find any such utility / mechanism in Fortran Compiler Rev 5.0.
Does such a kit exists in Compiler Rev 6.0 / 6.5 ? If yes, what are the steps which need to be taken ?
Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
No, Visual Fortran does not include a tool to create self-installing kits. There are a variety of such tools available - InstallShield is the most popular, but one can even use WinZip Self-Extractor and .INF files for the purpose.

Steve
0 Kudos
akg23693
Beginner
Steve

Thanks for the quick reply. I know about the winzip self extractor... but it will extract the files to a target directory whereever the user decides to unzip the files. I wanted to be able to place the "executable" in certain directory so that the user could use "send to" feature to run the application. I was hoping that the installation kit could make this process kind of automatic for the user and that he/she would not have to manually copy the executables. Is that possible ?

Where will I find more info about InstallShield ?

Thanks a bunch...

"executable"...
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
From reading the description of WinZipSE 2.2, it can recognize a setup .INF file and use it to place the files. I haven't used this feature, so you'd have to look at WinZip's documentation as well as Microsoft's for .INF files to see how it should work.

InstallShield's web site is http://www.installshield.com/ This is what we use to package the CVF kit itself.

Steve
0 Kudos